Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

I have built my aircraft in flying pose for years, until I purchased my Tiffy. Airfix has included so much detail that I'm  building it all opened up.

I can see I would do the same for the Hellcat so I probably wouldn't use the pilot if there was one in the kit.

This is from someone who has purchased 100 or so Master Details pilots over the years

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

My main gripe is that Id love to display it on my ceiling,  utilizing the cool spinning prop option, but without a seated pilot, that doesn't do me much good at all. 

Brian, I have at least one of all the Airfix 1/24th scale models in the stash.. (including 3 P-51s!).

You are welcome to any of the pilots as I won't be uisng any of them.

18 hours ago, Shoggz said:

Brian, I have at least one of all the Airfix 1/24th scale models in the stash.. (including 3 P-51s!).

You are welcome to any of the pilots as I won't be uisng any of them.

Thanks Richard!  I may take you up on that offer when I acquire one.  Id love to do an in-flight display on the ceiling of my workshop. 

It seems to me that if you have a spare 1/24 pilot hanging about in your spare parts box, you can make sufficient "adjustments" to that figure to make him fit.  After all, you only need to see head, torso and upper arms.  All this talk of pilot figures and spinning props has me thinking that I might build mine with gear down and flaps partially lowered and dangling from the ceiling as if on approach. :)  This means that I can also display it without the pilot on the shelf.

Definitely looking forward to building this kit!!

Cheers,

Michael

A couple of years back there was a Tamiya F4U-1 (unsure of scale) finished as though it was in the factory, on some sort of dolly, with the fuselage either primed or natural metal. With the detail on Airfix’s new 1/24 Hellcat, I’d love to replicate that kind of setup. Just need to find the Grumman factory pics now. 

On 11/16/2018 at 11:09 AM, Kagemusha said:

I can't see them not doing a -3 further down the road, despite the official line.

I don’t think they’ve even suggested doing a -3.

The reason why the kit is a -5 is because there were so many detail differences between the -3 and -5 that would be noticeable at that scale that they decided not to compromise and run with one specific variant only, hence the -5.

1 hour ago, JM2112 said:

Thats tooling costs, not sculpting.

Dissapointed to hear that Airfix are breaking with tradition where 1/24 scale kits are concerned and aren't supplying a pilot figure. I read on another forum that they estimated it would cost up to £10,000 to get a figure sculpted and they weren't prepared to add that to the production costs.