Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

What pilot figure would you run with as a manufacturer? Given in 1/24 the differences between say a FAA pilot and his equipment and a USN pilot would be noticeable?? 

So perhaps one of those things best left to the aftermarket to resolve.. someone can do a really nice sculpt of a variety of pilots and everyone is happy..

59 minutes ago, JerseyChris said:

I think that was a standing figure though wasn't it?

Yes, but better (much better) than no figure at all, though a seated guy would be great too. Since I don't go for the gimmicky spinning prop thing, a standing pilot is wonderful for me, assuming I even use a figure at all. 

What do you make of one's own hand 'flying' the aircraft? It's no more realistic than an engine running with no one at the controls :BANGHEAD2:

Having said that, a standing pilot has its use because it gives some sense of scale to the model. Especially when it's done by a competent sculptor like Mike Good  :innocent:

5 hours ago, quang said:

What do you make of one's own hand 'flying' the aircraft? It's no more realistic than an engine running with no one at the controls :BANGHEAD2:

Having said that, a standing pilot has its use because it gives some sense of scale to the model. Especially when it's done by a competent sculptor like Mike Good  :innocent:

What's with the sarcastic emoji mate? You could have made your point without it. No wonder lurkers like me are reluctant to participate in threads

1 hour ago, JerseyChris said:

What's with the sarcastic emoji mate? You could have made your point without it. No wonder lurkers like me are reluctant to participate in threads

You saw sarcasm where there is none.  

Mike Good used to be a good friend of mine when I was into figures. Apart from being one of the most respected sculptor in the mini-world,  Mike also has a special interest for aviation. That’s why his pilot figures are so ...good. :rolleyes:

My dad used to do maintenance and training on the Hellcat in WWII. Master Sergeant USMC. He had a balsa and paper model that he did up with all sorts of realistic controls and had it as a control-line flying model before R/C was practical. He really had some stories on these and the Corsairs and I'm sure he'd appreciate this kit. Sadly he's long gone.

On 11/18/2018 at 9:17 PM, Southern Bandit said:

Yup, bought the Revell technic light and prop motor Ju-88 kit recently, no crew figures and not a chance of finding suitable ones for the kit either I imagine ... perhaps there will be an after market one for the Hellcat though.

The 21st Century Ju 87 came with a couple of seated flight crew, which would be suitable, Master Details also make a bomber pilot.

I sometimes do a standing pilot figure with my planes.  I would like to see someone do some nice figures for this kit in resin.  I normally do not do started pilot figures although I do not rule it out.  Years a go when I built my first Tamiya Spitfire iX, I built it with a figure as you could pose it on the flight stand or install the dropped landing gear.  One feature I reallly like about Tamiya’s Spitifire and Mustang as you can take them from flight to ground mode at will.  So seated figures make a lot of sense.in those.  Also simplifies the cockpit when you do a figure.  As there is no reason to invest as much time in placard decals and so on as the pilot dominates the scene.