Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

This is probably true, having the base kit, even if it's not a -3, is a whole lot better than having nothing at all. So, you'll be trying to convert one to a -3 then? If so, I'll certainly keep an eye out for that. Heck, I may even have to consider that myself. Here's the type of -3 look that I really like. The red surround really does it for me, and I'm quite certain you'll never see that on the more mundane -5 aircraft.

iFcReQ.jpg

No, as I said the Hellcat is not my fav bird. What I was saying/ meant to say is that it shouldn't be too hard to backdate the kit to a -3 given the talent of quite a few of the folks here. If the aftermarket jumps on it and makes a conversion kit, all the better.

4 hours ago, spacewolf said:

No, as I said the Hellcat is not my fav bird. What I was saying/ meant to say is that it shouldn't be too hard to backdate the kit to a -3 given the talent of quite a few of the folks here. If the aftermarket jumps on it and makes a conversion kit, all the better.

OK, sorry. I did indeed misunderstand.

I'm wondering if we will get a repeat of the Typhoon scenario where once the first model is in place they release a second variant like the bubbletop and the car door ?

It would seem to make business sense as it requires a few extra mods rather than a complete new kit for a  -3.

3 hours ago, PhilB said:

I'm wondering if we will get a repeat of the Typhoon scenario where once the first model is in place they release a second variant like the bubbletop and the car door ?

It would seem to make business sense as it requires a few extra mods rather than a complete new kit for a  -3.

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

I can't see them not doing a -3 further down the road, despite the official line.

I hate to say it, but it only makes perfect business sense.......

Release the lesser liked/popular version first (-5 Hellcat, Birdcage F4U ect) and in this case, tell people there won't be a version of the more popular version released, so it doesnt kill sales of what they just did release. Only to utilize the molds again and release that other version later.

I'm sure this one will be as successful as the Typhoon especially amongst US customers.

I had a look around the other day for a bubbletop from the usual sources (I don't do evilbay) and they just aren't about.

About as rare as rocking horse doo-dah and only the odd car door one around too.

EDIT:

Oh and just looked and Hannants have this as a future release at £107.99 whcih is cheaper than the Typhoon.

:D

Edited by PhilB
Misspelt poop

3 hours ago, PhilB said:

Oh and just looked and Hannants have this as a future release at £107.99 whcih is cheaper than the Typhoon.

It's £99.99 if you are ordering from outside the EU, £89.99 if you are an Airfix Club Member. I pre-ordered two at the club price and will also get free shipping to the US. At the current exchange rate, that means they will be about $115 each shipped to my door, or cheaper than they can be bought in the UK.

8 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I can't see them not doing a -3 further down the road, despite the official line.

Agreed, 100%

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I hate to say it, but it only makes perfect business sense.......

Release the lesser liked/popular version first (-5 Hellcat, Birdcage F4U ect) and in this case, tell people there won't be a version of the more popular version released, so it doesnt kill sales of what they just did release. Only to utilize the molds again and release that other version later.

To not follow through with a -3 would make absolutely no sense to me, and when they do, I'll be all over it like a dog on a pork chop.

4 hours ago, PhilB said:

I'm sure this one will be as successful as the Typhoon especially amongst US customers.

I see no reason to assume that a WWII US fighter will be more popular in the US than the rest of the world. After all, how many Brit and Japanese modelers build WWII German stuff? As an American, I probably have more German and Japanese subjects than I do US machines.

48 minutes ago, JerseyChris said:

Dissapointed to hear that Airfix are breaking with tradition where 1/24 scale kits are concerned and aren't supplying a pilot figure. I read on another forum that they estimated it would cost up to £10,000 to get a figure sculpted and they weren't prepared to add that to the production costs.

Crap. That really stinks.....why the motorized prop option with NO option for anyone at the controls?!?? 

53 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Crap. That really stinks.....why the motorized prop option with NO option for anyone at the controls?!?? 

Yup, bought the Revell technic light and prop motor Ju-88 kit recently, no crew figures and not a chance of finding suitable ones for the kit either I imagine ... perhaps there will be an after market one for the Hellcat though.

2 hours ago, JerseyChris said:

Dissapointed to hear that Airfix are breaking with tradition where 1/24 scale kits are concerned and aren't supplying a pilot figure. I read on another forum that they estimated it would cost up to £10,000 to get a figure sculpted and they weren't prepared to add that to the production costs.

I know somebody who could do that for £500. That's the trouble when you don't speak to people in the professional model making world you make assumptions.

Graham