Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

Can we just discuss the kit we are actually getting please and not the kit we want or would prefer, or even debate about what is coming or not for the foreseeable future, side tracking is fun, but it sort of killed the original B-24 Liberator thread where it needed moulded to another and was sad to see my sincere Lib crash and tribute post got deleted too as a tangent.

Right here and right now, Airfix are releasing a 1/24 a Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat, can we please focus on this, because this is the kit we are going to get for the foreseeable future.

9 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I suspect that Airfix is still working off the assumption, probably correctly, that most people who build their kits brush paint rather than use an airbrush.

I sincerely doubt you there my friend, these are high quality enthusiast kits Airfix knock out these days  in 1/24 and they are not cheap,  fair play if you still brush paint, but I can really assure the vast majority of the membership have left the hairy stick behind a long time ago ... we did a poll about it recently.

Recent Airfix 1/24 Aircraft kits like the Mosquito and Typhoon are seriously good kits and with no hesitation I would put this new Hellcat up there too.

Huge model. I also think the surface details; the riveting and the "stressed skin" effect to be overdone. But what do I know?

I'm probably the only one on this forum who would like to see a 1/24 scale Brewster Buffalo!

Edited by Belugawhaleman
Error

I have been very impressed with my Tiffie kit: the parts, overall fit, engineering, obvious attention to detail and authenticity, and the clear instructions. I will bet the Hellcat kit will be the same, or better. Like recent ZM kits, I would be drawn to building another Airfix kit even if I wasn’t particularly drawn to the subject! 

Cheers,  Tom

On 11/12/2018 at 4:23 PM, Plasto said:

If the kit turns out to be nice and there is general enthusiastic support in the wider modelling community for it then Airfix will either tool the bits needed for a -3 or the aftermarket will come along with the conversion parts required.

We just haven’t got em today...

I really like what I've seen so far, kit wise, just really wish it was a -3 so I could pick one of a dozen or so early tri-color schemes that I very much do like, as overall GSB does absolutely nothing at all for me. Looks like no -5 kit will be in my future.

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

I have been very impressed with my Tiffie kit: the parts, overall fit, engineering, obvious attention to detail and authenticity, and the clear instructions. I will bet the Hellcat kit will be the same, or better. Like recent ZM kits, I would be drawn to building another Airfix kit even if I wasn’t particularly drawn to the subject! 

Cheers,  Tom

Both Typhoon kits are indeed great, so I have no reason to believe this will be any less well designed/detailed. As to grabbing a quality kit of a subject that I don't care for though, that's where I have to draw the line. My budget is much too tight to spend cash on something I don't particularly care for.

18 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I really like what I've seen so far, kit wise, just really wish it was a -3 so I could pick one of a dozen or so early tri-color schemes that I very much do like, as overall GSB does absolutely nothing at all for me. Looks like no -5 kit will be in my future.

Yep, a lot more schemes for the -3.

I'll have to check my refs again but when I was researching the FAA Hellcats that had a scrap with the Luftwaffe on one of the Tirpitz raids, I'm pretty sure they and most of the European theatre FAA Hellcats were -3's.

Scheme wise a -5 offers a lot if you look into it. 

GSB USN wartime aircraft.

FAA aircraft (Hellcat 2) in TSS and GSB.

Post War Aeronavale aircraft in GSB

Post War USN Reserve in GSB with orange bands.

F6F-5K in very bright colours.

A ‘Blue angel’ scheme..

Uraguayan Navy schemes...

So it’s not all bad news... Overall Probably more scheme choice with a -5 than a -3... Just not tricolour unless you build a warbird I think one of those is /was in a tricolour scheme.

Wing is different. The 3 has a long thin panel on the lower surface, this panel was access for aileron cable and flap control access. The 5 does not have this panel. I think this is the easy visual, there are others such as the layout of outboard wing panels. MK

While this did not excite me enough at first to make it my first 1/24 kit, the more I look at it, the more tempted I am. I did a Cat a few years back in 1/32 that I really enjoyed, and figured I would never do another (I'm a build it only once guy), but I don't know now. And to think I just bought the last kit on my wish list the other day....now this comes out? Hmmmm......

4 hours ago, Plasto said:

Scheme wise a -5 offers a lot if you look into it.

Uraguayan Navy schemes...

Wow

now *that* was a reach!

i will get one to do in a FAA scheme but think they have massively missed a trick by choosing a variant that was ‘navy blue and that’s it’ if you want to do a US WWII aircraft.