Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

On 11/11/2018 at 12:49 PM, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

OK, dumb question time here, folks. As a rule, were the F6F-5 aircraft always painted in overall GSB? I know that most, if not all of the F6F-3's were done up in the tri-color scheme.

Thanks a bunch,

Apparently not:

6fa7a0de54b5ddf4baf7e01597c10435.jpg

I would have to look it up, but I think the all over GSB scheme occurred starting late '43, early '44? So earlier -5's would have been 3-tone scheme.

Edit:Looking closely at the photo, and ref info, looks like this is a F6f-3, not a -5! So unless new info comes out, 3-tone scheme is out! 

On 11/10/2018 at 1:45 PM, Erwin said:

OMG !!   Never saw that one comming. 

I might be wrong in mentioning.But I sure hope the parts are strong enough to support a folded wing. Wait and see.

It would be nice to build this with one wing straight and one folded.

I won't rush to buy one.I shall wait to see some progress reports.It's not that it will be out of production in 2020.

Erwin, i know ONE 1/24 you're waiting for since you started building:  BOULTON PAUL DEFIANT!!!!

1 minute ago, Jennings Heilig said:

This could possibly be our first (and likely only) foray into 1/24 decals..

That might be reasonable, I wold think demand for this kit and A.M. especially decals should be pretty descent.  I am a likely buyer of both as I will probably want something other than what is in the box for decals.  I anticipate buying this kit.

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Re the possibility of a four-tone camouflage F6F-5 - I'm not going to state categorically that it didn't happen, but if it did there certainly wasn't more than a small handful of -5s build with the blue/white scheme.  Grumman switched to F6F-5 production at almost exactly the same time as the changeover to GSB took place.  I've been through all of my Hellcat refs and I can't find a single photo that I can state with certainty is a -5 in blue/white.  In the old D&S book there is a photo captioned "One of the first F6F-5s..." that's in GSB.  Take that for what it's worth, but if it happened, it was rare.

Are you saying "Little Joe" is a -3?

33 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Are you saying "Little Joe" is a -3?

Not necessarily.  Early -5s were built with -3 type rear cockpit windows.  I think the point is that if only a handful of early -5s were painted in tri-color, they would have also had the rear cockpit windows.  If the Airfix kit doesn’t include an option for the rear cockpit windows, then you can’t do one in tri-color from the box.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Not necessarily.  Early -5s were built with -3 type rear cockpit windows.  I think the point is that if only a handful of early -5s were painted in tri-color, they would have also had the rear cockpit windows.  If the Airfix kit doesn’t include an option for the rear cockpit windows, then you can’t do one in tri-color from the box.

I'm strongly leaning toward that same conclusion, which, if true, is a bit of a shame, at least as far as I'm concerned.

46 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I’d say it’s far more likely than not.

Looking more closely at the real photo of Little Joe, it has the -3 windscreen.  The -5 windscreen has the flat armor glass panel incorporated as part of the windscreen, and there is just a single short frame from the rounded top edge of the center panel to the frame at the rear of the windshield.  On the -3, the armored glass was a separate internal part, so the center windscreen panel wasn't flat but had a more flat top edge, with two small frames going from each corner of the center panel back to the rear frame of the windshield.

8 hours ago, Jack said:

Erwin, i know ONE 1/24 you're waiting for since you started building:  BOULTON PAUL DEFIANT!!!!

I can only dream ! :(

Their must be some brand that can see the potential in such a kit.  I would be happy if it's 32 nd too.

(De Storch dat je me gaf is klaar in de groepsbouw.Bedankt )

Edited by Erwin