Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

I have never built a 1/24 kit, looks like this will be my first.  I am fairly certain I will be getting one.  May not be buying on release but plan on getting one.  I just took on a really big project.  Not an LSP but really big.  Might do a build blog on it in the NON LSP section.  To give you an idea I got the kit today and it came in a huge tote.  It is not a sea going vessel either.

Can't say I'm a big Hellcat fan.  There's no denying it's record as a naval fighter and it's not what you'd call pretty.  I only have one Hellcat model on my shelves and that's a 1/48 model and one of my better ones too.

But the hell with all of that.  :clap2:  Well done Airfix and I'm definitely buying.  I enjoyed the Typhoon so much I don't see how I can not build one of these.  The pics on the Airfix site look fantastic!!!  My next question is will they bring out an F6F-3 version later on?  I reckon the after market will go nuts over this one so in a short while there will be a lot of possibilities to model.

I wonder how it will compare size-wise to the Typhoon??  I seem to recall "Winkle" Brown's comment in his "Wings of the Navy" book about the Hellcat wing being the biggest of any WW2 fighter.

Can't wait to see what shows up on LSP's forums in the next couple of months.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

I would like to have seen how the wings stay on when folded.

That's my main concern about this kit. 

Will the parts hold the wing nicely and firm in place ?

Will have to wait untill we see a build report.

Edited by Erwin

28 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I would like to have seen how the wings stay on when folded.

That's my main concern about this kit. 

Will the parts hold the wing nicely and firm in place ?

Will have to wait untill we see a build report.

Personally the only way I would care about folding wings is if they can properly fold and unfold.  I suspect that is not doable in scale.  I prefer the wings out and open.  To me folded up takes away from the plane as a whole.  

I know a lot of people though like to display navy planes with folded wings.  I just think it takes too much from the model.

Well I’ve placed a Pre-order on the Airfix website. Now I just need to order up a full sized spray gun and Gallon of USN Blue. I am looking forward to this release. The Hellcat appeals to me in the same way the Razorback P-47 does. Just big and brutish. Purposeful would be another word to describe them. 

5 hours ago, TAG said:

Airfix just dropped this video, it's YUGE!

It IS big! 

Motorised?!?? That's pretty cool! I was already thinking about a gear up in-flight display to hang on my work room ceiling.

Now dont crucify me here, but honestly the only initial thing I see that seems off a tad to my Mk 1 eyeball are the wheels.....

Maybe I'm off, but it seems like the wheels at least look like they are a bit too low in profile........something just looks off. Obviously I'll wait to see things I person before making a final call, but with the motorised option, I'm picking this one up!

14 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

My next question is will they bring out an F6F-3 version later on?  I reckon the after market will go nuts over this one so in a short while there will be a lot of possibilities to model.

Cheers,

Michael

I certainly hope so, as I much prefer the -3.