Dragon's Sturmpanzer IV- 27/Dec/18

Gazzas

28 minutes ago, Daniel460 said:

Excellent work on the Zim! That tool looks better then most I've seen. I usually wuss out and get a Cavalier set! :whistle:

Dan

Thank you Dan!  I can't seem to make myself buy aftermarket zimm... 

Gaz

5 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Careful how you attach them and you can do it and even change it up if you want.

ypcyMAO.jpg

dpflglW.jpg

I actually added my schurzen about six months after finishing the tank itself.

I find Schürzen look best, the fewer pieces you leave on the vehicle.  Last time I used Dragon's white metal schürzen, I found paint adhesion to be quite a challenge.

Gaz

11 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

I find Schürzen look best, the fewer pieces you leave on the vehicle.  Last time I used Dragon's white metal schürzen, I found paint adhesion to be quite a challenge.

Gaz

Have you sanded down the surface to give the paint something to stick into? I also have to say that before I started using stuff like Stynylrez I was using regular auto primers on my kits, which my Sturmy would have been party to.

Just now, CATCplSlade said:

Have you sanded down the surface to give the paint something to stick into? I also have to say that before I started using stuff like Stynylrez I was using regular auto primers on my kits, which my Sturmy would have been party to.

I have to admit to not sanding on that occasion.  I also didn't work with gloves.  I wear gloves a lot more now, but I'm finding that Tamiya's metal primer doesn't seem more chip resistant than no primer at all.  I may have to hit the local car parts store.

Gaz

Well, the thing about that is the only Wirbelwind without a turret was the pre-prototype built in the workshop of SS-Panzer Regiment 12's Flakabteilung unit. The vehicle did get a turret but the exact details of that turret aren't known. There were a number of changes between it and the prototype and actual production vehicles so modeling it would be a bunch of what-ifs and maybes.

Nope. The Mobelwagen with the 2cm was a single prototype (completed at the end of September 1943). Production was ordered by Guderian to start in April 1944, but in December 1943 it was decided to use the 3.7cm Flak 43 instead. In the meantime, the Wirbelwind was utilized as a temporary fill-in until Ostwind production could begin, which replaced the Wirbelwind before the end of 1944. Hitler wanted the Ostwind to have two 3.7cm guns but the loss of the Ostbau factory stopped that from happening.

The Mobelwagen also had a widened superstructure to support the fold-down shields, which the model posted above does not possess. The Mobelwagen, Ostwind, and Kugelblitz were all built from new chassis, but the Wirbelwind was built from overhauled Pz IVs returned from the front. As I mentioned, the pre-prototype Wirbelwind developed by SS-PzReg 12 actually occurred independently of the plans for the Mobelwagen, but the vehicle was determined to have some promise and so conversions of returned Pz IVs was begun after making some modifications to the SS design, such as the traversing mechanism and the protective turret. The desire was still to have a dedicated vehicle sporting the 3.7cm as it had a better penetration at range than the 2cm gun, which is why development of the Ostwind was done and the Kugelblitz was still worked towards. The Mobelwagen began to lose favor as it took too much time to ready the vehicle for combat and the fold-down shields left the crews unprotected, but it had its contract extended until the Ostwind could be readied in sufficient numbers. Each Flak unit was assigned four Mobelwagen and four Wirbelwind. Nearly all of the Wirbelwind were built on Ausf G chassis with a very few Ausf J, and zimmerit depended on whether or not the donor chassis already had some.

This is all from research done by Jentz and Doyle.