Dragon's Sturmpanzer IV- 27/Dec/18

Gazzas

2 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

No worries.  If I find myself ever in need of another method, I'll give it a whack.  Now...  how are you set for the Panther and StuG patterns?

That will depend a bit on the particular model and the factory that built it.

8 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

That will depend a bit on the particular model and the factory that built it.

Hah!  You are correct.  Might just have to start buying the decals.

Gaz

12 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

One thing is certain, the zimm on a Panther does not necessarily have to be really neat.

RlLn7i.jpg

I always wondered if they applied zimmerit on the lower front Hull. Looks like they did just that, at the start of period at least. Tnx for the photo that showed that. 

14 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Great photo!

For me, neatness is not really the issue.  For me, the issue is:  "does it look like it was done by an in-scale" being?"  I'm trying to use the same approach when I airbrush. 

That truly is an excellent approach. I think that we too frequently see 1:32 models that look to be painted (and weathered) "out of scale". Seven foot long gun powder streaks are one such example.

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I seriously considered doing two displays, one with the evolution of the Panzers, I -IV (at least), and one with all of the major variations of the basic Panzer IV chassis, but never got around to doing either one I'm afraid. Cool ideas though, I thought.

I actually have most of the major versions and variations as I have been trying to model every production vehicle found in the Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII. I am shy about 30 vehicles now and those are the lesser known or ones produced in very small numbers.

3 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

I actually have most of the major versions and variations as I have been trying to model every production vehicle found in the Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII. I am shy about 30 vehicles now and those are the lesser known or ones produced in very small numbers.

I had a similar plan...  but have decided I'm  too lazy and like too much variety to stick to that many panzers.

20 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

I had a similar plan...  but have decided I'm  too lazy and like too much variety to stick to that many panzers.

I devote the variety aspect to my LSPs and subject matter like Sci-Fi kits and VW buses. I find there is plenty of variety in the German armed forces alone, although I might take on WWII Russian when I am done. Also been considering a set of contemporary U.S. AFV's just so my daughters' friends would have something they recognized.

6 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

I find there is plenty of variety in the German armed forces alone...

I build primarily German stuff but occasionally venture out of that realm.  One thing for sure...  I find it difficult to stomach two Panzer IV chassis in succession.

6 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

One thing for sure...  I find it difficult to stomach two Panzer IV chassis in succession.

Then you would have hated the time I built a Mobelwagen, Wirbelwind, and Ostwind at the same time, followed by a Nashorn.

And to be an even bigger dumbass I was painting the roadwheel rubber by hand.

Edited by CATCplSlade

Hi everyone,

Just a small update as I wanted to show the results of a modified method of doing the zimmerit.

The left image shows the rear of the fighting compartment done the other day.  The right image is from last week;s work:

zBmoCp.jpg

The main difference between the older and newer technique is that instead of letting the lines dry before I remove the excess, I remove the excess while it is still moist.  It is a bit more tedious because instead of working 4 to 6 lines at a time, I can only work with one.   What this new method does, is to prevent the extra chipping that happens when the model paste is dry.  Bear in mind, that this drying period is only a few minutes while working in an air-conditioned space.

EXkPk9.jpg

lyy0Ed.jpg

mgq5r4.jpg

Spent the rest of my effort for the day attaching the upper works and populating the exterior with small bits of plastic.  I wanted to show it now because once I add the opened hatches, some of the zimmerit detail will be hidden.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz