Dragon's Sturmpanzer IV- 27/Dec/18

Gazzas

Well, it took a lot less effort and time than I expected to metallize the tracks.

eNnVsY.jpg

Some of them, like the guide horns above, have to be reached from the outside carefully.

SdE8k4.jpg

yVnRzX.jpg 

The exterior is pretty simple, too.

Ifz74f.jpg

8SuVEc.jpg

2jPvl1.jpg

krz7tf.jpg

DwaFN4.jpg

And you see...  that pesky bar in the front has popped off again!

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

For some shapes and patterns of Zimmerit, my modelling paste would not do.  This time, I needed Milliput:

48377997_560208907779188_747910012476168

Milliput has one some unique properties which can be harnessed for certain areas and patterns.  The property I speak of is it's ability to stay workable as long as you keep it wet.

It took five pressings to get the milliput thin enough to make the desired patterns you see.  With zimmerit, if it's too thick and looks wrong, it's the modellers fault.  However, if it isn't too thick and looks non-standard, you can point to any wartime photo of zimmerit and show how many faults there are on real panzers.

48375489_560208931112519_910801190393374

It took more than a couple hours to get these five and a half circles the way I wanted them.  I think the hardest zimmerit task to face would be going around the large bolt heads on the Ferdinand.

...that one is yet to come.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Lol, yeah perfection is actually unrealistic :lol: A saving grace for us modellers. 

My problem area on the cute tiger was the Hull machine gun. I suppose you got one on the brummbar too? 

Even with milliput that part is  not easy. I got not advice but to try patience -_-

Hi everyone,

A lot more Zimmerit work on the large fighting compartment:

OSC2BM.jpg

SbQUh0.jpg

p2L0Ya.jpg

Probably 6 or 7 hours of working single rows yielded the three almost complete sides.  I still have the driver's armor and the rear plates to cover with zimm.

PrfazP.jpg

ii2ebL.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

17 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I'd love to see your process.

It may be quite a while before I attempt it again, and the Jagdtiger and Tiger kits I did it on, are long gone, as are almost all of my other finished kits, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Hardcore said:

The old verlinden way. I wouldn't try that. It requires a steady hand and you cannot easily rectify mistakes. Still, no messing around with putty is a bonus for sure! 

I don't really recall where I heard the idea, to be quite honest. Any boo-boos can just be sanded away, then redone with the soldering iron. As I recall, once the rheostat was properly set, it went rather smoothly and pretty darned fast too.

35 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

It may be quite a while before I attempt it again, and the Jagdtiger and Tiger kits I did it on, are long gone, as are almost all of my other finished kits, unfortunately.

I don't really recall where I heard the idea, to be quite honest. Any boo-boos can just be sanded away, then redone with the soldering iron. As I recall, once the rheostat was properly set, it went rather smoothly and pretty darned fast too.

After reading your post yesterday I went looking for articles where guys had done it with a soldering iron.  Most of the articles were old and the pics were long gone.  eventually I found one.  It didn't look quite right to me, as each pressing of the iron had left a oval recess beneath each raised rib.  This may have just been due to technique or not shaping the tool properly.

My soldering iron has two settings.  Hot and super-hot.  So I wouldn't be trying with that, and I don't know that i'd buy a second one unless I saw some real awesome looking zimm done with it.

As for messing with putty, my two types of putty aren't noxious, nor do they bite hard into the plastic.  Craft stores are really quite helpful when it comes to finding useful, cheap stuff.

Gaz

I'll try anything once I've seen it can be done better than my best.