Curious...has anyone used Eduard PE as templates???

I have done this on a several kits. If I have multiple kits of the same aircraft, I will purchase the Eduard PE for one, but use the PE sheets as templates for the others. I will trace the PE "part" onto plastic or thin sheet brass and make it just like the original Eduard piece. I usually do this for the Revell kits that I have, but I've also done it for Swallow Zeros! You can't use all the pieces as templates, but they sure are good for seats, instrument panels, interior parts, exterior parts, etc, etc. I was just curious if anybody else in the great wide wide world of Large Scale members do this. 

:tumble:

Skintflint sometimes, but not skint enough to trace and die-punch. 

Life's too short, but if you have to mod that IP, punch it out and go Airscale instead of Eduard ready-to-go, so be it.

But nothing wrong with that. If you're trying to put some life into an oldie but goldie then spend on the fun workshop stuff.

I sometimes wish I was dude that could turn styrene pressed shapes and okd kits into masters - and there do exist those who can!

cheers

Tony in Bristol

Indeed, Iain! I did the same for some obscure or neglected topics. Many years ago I used as well a similar approach with scans of the instrument panel drawings in technical manuals.

Copying Eduard items is often required for another reason: various parts are either too flat or thin! 

Yep, I've done as you fellars have! Sometimes you need thicker or thinner parts, and I've photocopied them to use as templates as well. Been very handy at times! I just wondered if other guys do this as well. If not, then we've just spurred some other folks imagination! Thanks for responding!

Edited by Big Texan

I know of someone  who will tape a PE fret to a sheet of styrene of a certain thickness (I think .010" if memory serves) and spray paint over the PE fret essentially creating a stencil out of it.  He'll then cut out the parts from the plastic and assemble the plastic instead of the PE... It's much easier to work with and glues with any plastic model cement.