L-39 gear up landing

Pete Fleischmann

Hello all,

On 20 October I took off on a beautiful day in the L-39 for a typical aerobatic training sortie in the L-39C. Just after liftoff, the tower controller informed me "Hey Pete, you just lost a wheel". I said, "can you be more specific"? Rob, the tower controller replied "it was one of your main wheels". "OK" I said "That's a problem".

I left the gear and flaps down and circled back around to the north so the tower could take another look. Turned out my entire right main wheel assembly was missing. The gear strut was there..just no wheel. I declared an emergency and climbed to 2500'AGL, and proceeded to Charles Island; about 4nm from the approach end of the runway: a recognizable landmark for other pilots, and set up an orbit. I reviewed a few emergency checklists, and quickly decided that landing with the gear down with only one main wheel would likely end up in the jet departing the runway, the bare gear strut digging into the grass..and a cartwheel, fireball, and two fatalities. Coming in gear up was the only option. certainly the safest option.

I informed the tower about my decision, and they gave the ARFF folks the time to pre-position for my arrival. I flew a gear up, full flap approach at 120 kts, touching down about 1000 ft down the runway. I gently set the nose down.. Immediately on touchdown I shut the engine off. The jet went straight down the runway, sliding only about 1500 ft. No fire, but lots of smoke and sparks. The student and I egressed as the ARFF guys shot the jet with foam.

It wad an interesting Saturday.

9CeDUo5.jpg

mrvOTXD.jpg

rUkrI5G.jpg

M6DedPV.jpg

oRwvbp5.jpg

DHoq2Qw.jpg

46QA8FN.jpg

ivTvnH7.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann
speling

Crikey! 

You're probably taking this whole "teaching the student how to deal with emergencies" thing a bit too far but hey, whatever works for ya ;)

Seriously though Pete, huge kudos for keeping your cool and getting you both down safely. Glad you're ok.

Looks like the damage will buff right out so you should be back in the air in no time.

Cheers.

Awww Pete, I feel for you man... but hey, you did a terrific job on saving the day and keeping both you and your student safe. Excellent airmanship, outstanding decision making, and precise execution of what was needed to be done. I sincerely hope you are able to get your ship repaired and back to airworthiness. Is she salvageable?

You have my sincerest sympathies and admiration mate! 

If you set up a Go-Fund-Me page I’m sure many of us will donate. 

Cheers

Alan