L-39 gear up landing

Pete Fleischmann

On 11/7/2018 at 5:25 PM, alaninaustria said:

Wow, after watching the video I am reminded of an old adage from one of my flight instructors who flew F-86s in the RCAF - no matter what - keep flying the aircraft right up to the point it stops... ditching, landing, no matter what - you nailed this Pete. A true testimony to your skill and the training instilled at the USAF.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan,

the fighter pilot prayer coin coin has two sides: “God please don’t let me screw up”, and “I’d rather die than look bad”.

lucky for me that everything went our way. I will never forget the sound in the cockpit of the jet sliding down the runway. Hard to describe.

cheers

Pete

On 11/7/2018 at 3:44 AM, MARU5137 said:

Pete,

AMAZING landing and you kept COOL as many pilots do given similar situations.

(I bet the Tower Controller Bob also recognized your ability to stay calm and  watched with Pride).

KUDOS for a safe landing and I guess the Student will want to go out with you now he knows what an EXCEPTIONAL PILOT And a Flying Instructor you are.

and thanks also goes to the Emergency staff on hand to deal with the  situation when you landed in a quick and efficient manner.

:clap2:

so next time I come over I may just cheekily ask for a ride like Jennings.

who wouldn't want A ride with you Pig!

RESPECT.

:bow::bow:

Maru my dear..you are always there with a kind word. Anytime you want to fly, you just let me know-

best

Pete

7 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

lucky for me that everything went our way. I will never forget the sound in the cockpit of the jet sliding down the runway. Hard to describe.

I am betting one description would be, "Sickening..." 

Hopefully a once in a lifetime occurrence. 

On 11/7/2018 at 2:59 PM, Cheetah11 said:

Nicely done Pete. Looking at the video I am surprised at how little drag there is once the aircraft has touched down.

Nick

Thanks Nick-

It road down the runway on the nose gear door, flaps, and the speed brake actuator fairings..not too much touching the pavement.

Cheers

Pete

On 11/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, Shawn M said:

i was surprised to see the flaps remained down the entire time, I would have figured they'd collapse under the weight

hows the damage looking Pete?

Potentially not too bad..just expensive. The obvious flaps, sheet metal, nose gear door, speed brake actuators, antennas..The engine will need an inspection. Not sure about all of the foam that got sprayed into the cockpit... 

We're sorting it out-

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete, is it just sheet metal skin damage or, did the bulkhead/structure take a ‘sanding’ too? Do you think landing in the grass would have been an option? Am just thinking out loud here - what is your normal V approach speed with full flaps at that weight?

Cheers

Alan 

On 11/17/2018 at 4:02 PM, alaninaustria said:

Hi Pete, is it just sheet metal skin damage or, did the bulkhead/structure take a ‘sanding’ too? Do you think landing in the grass would have been an option? Am just thinking out loud here - what is your normal V approach speed with full flaps at that weight?

Cheers

Alan 

Hi Alan

120 knots for gear down, full flaps and speedbrakes extended is the normal approach speed. For the L-39, approach speed is not adjusted for weight; just configuration. If I had an AOA guage, I would fly AOA instead, and would likely see minor airspeed differences for weight.

Bulkheads are fine..Landing in the grass is a really bad idea actually. I get that question a lot. The grass is an unpredictable surface;  with the chance of something digging in way too high. The runway is smooth,hard and predictable..and I know how the jet is going to behave on the pavement..in the grass, all bets are off-way too risky.

cheers

Pete

On 11/17/2018 at 4:10 PM, MARU5137 said:

"what is your normal V approach speed with full flaps at that weight?

Cheers

Alan .

What does that mean..what is  that please?

Thank you 

Operational speeds are defined in terms of "V" speeds (V for velocity) For example Vle is "Maximum Landing gear extended speed", Vfe is "Maximum flap extended speed", etc

Cheers

Pete

• 1 month later...