L-39 gear up landing

Pete Fleischmann

13 hours ago, Michael931080 said:

Glad you and the student are okay Pete but sorry the plane got scratched up like this!

Goes to show all your training has paid off and your nerves of steel prevailed.

How soon do you think you will have the plane flying again?

Thanks my friend-

The damage isn't too bad...just expensive. It'l be a couple months for sure before we're flying again-

Cheers

Pete

8 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Crikey! 

You're probably taking this whole "teaching the student how to deal with emergencies" thing a bit too far but hey, whatever works for ya ;)

Seriously though Pete, huge kudos for keeping your cool and getting you both down safely. Glad you're ok.

Looks like the damage will buff right out so you should be back in the air in no time.

Cheers.

Thanks Gdub...It all worked out. Once the jet was airborne, it was in no immediate danger..certainly not time critical..(we weren't on fire, weren't running out of gas..the engine hadn't quit ..)

So I had time to come up with a plan and brief the student and everyone on the ground about how this was going to go. Everyone did a great job-

Cheers

Pete

Pete, am just curious - was it a ceased bearing in the axle? I lost my #4 (outer righthand side main wheel) wheel once at rotation - the bearing had ceased and it got so hot during acceleration the entire wheel unit detached - luckily for us we have two wheels per main gear (Q400). 

Cheers,

Alan

1 hour ago, alaninaustria said:

Pete, am just curious - was it a ceased bearing in the axle? I lost my #4 (outer righthand side main wheel) wheel once at rotation - the bearing had ceased and it got so hot during acceleration the entire wheel unit detached - luckily for us we have two wheels per main gear (Q400). 

Cheers,

Alan

Not sure yet Alan...we were unable to recover the wheel and several other parts. The wheel ended up in a marsh off of the departure end of the runway...we think.

Cheers

Pete

Beautiful landing Pete, any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Another bonus of course, is there will be very little if any damage from fod ingress in the engine due to the high intakes. Oh, and the strobes still work! 

Beautiful looking aircraft by the way, 

Glad your both ok. 

Wow, after watching the video I am reminded of an old adage from one of my flight instructors who flew F-86s in the RCAF - no matter what - keep flying the aircraft right up to the point it stops... ditching, landing, no matter what - you nailed this Pete. A true testimony to your skill and the training instilled at the USAF.

Cheers

Alan