The Next Airfix 1/24 Kit Will Be...

Uncarina

6 hours ago, Uncarina said:

...announced this weekend! So I was told by an Airfix representative. Could it be a Tempest?

Cheers,  Tom

I hope not, I really don't care for the Tempest.

6 hours ago, Shoggz said:

For me:

If it's a brand new subject - Sea Fury, P-47 or Griffon Spitfire

If it's an updated 'oldie' - Hawker Hurricane

The Trumpeter Hurricane is way more than fine with me.

4 hours ago, cbk57 said:

The 1/24 Typhoon really impressed me, I considered buying one of those but in the end just was not for me.  Maybe someday though I would hate to rule it out because it is such a great kit.

Blasphemy!

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

Nah, as in English Electric!

Boo, Hiss.

1 minute ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

Blasphemy!

I know it is morally wrong to think a big model is a bad idea but I have never been able to justify a Typhoon even though it is a great kit.  I also have to be able to find someone else who wants it because I don’t have space for it if I build it.  I can either build models and move them on to someone else or store them and gradually loose my work space.  My models don’t go in the house.   I have moved past the point that I want them in the house.  Only exception is if my son wants a model I make in his room.  That has been limited to Star Wars though or certain Submarines, I build him a Japanese deep sea research submarine a few years ago.  

I remember what a pleasant surprise the Typhoon was, it seemed so out-in-left-field but very welcome. A Tempest or Sea Fury would be a nice follow-on...I love the Typhoon, but the Tempest is just such a better-looking, more powerful and sleek beast, and had so many exciting stories connected to her. A beautiful aircraft...but maybe the Sea Fury would sell better? 

Now, I am terminally biased toward the Mustang, but I do acknowledge how many people feel about them (blech...boring), but they have invested a lot of research and work into Mustang IVs (P-51D/Ks for those who don't speak Commonwealth) and released them in 1/72 and 1/48. If it were done to the standards of the 1/24 Typhoons, it would sell like marijuana gummy bears in Canada. Besides, I am just in the final stages of improving their almost 50-year old kit...so of course it makes sense that a spectacular accurate kit will be announced as soon as I am done. A Mustang III however would give my wallet and myself a stroke. 

I think a Spitfire I/II would make financial sense, a Spitfire IX even more sense, a MkXIV a dream. A Corsair is another winning idea, it's almost as good an aircraft as the Mustang. :P I just don't think they will invest in something like the Defiant or Gladiator, or anything Japanese or Russian. And I didn't even think of possible jets. 

Bottom line though...I have no idea what I'm talking about.  We'll have to wait until Saturday. 

Richard

I remember when I was talking with them four years ago about future 1/24 scale subjects I recommended the Hawker Sea Fury and it produced much eye rolling from the Typhoon designer and his boss.  

Doesn't mean much, but maybe it caused some deeper thought processes somewhere within the Airfix team?

If it is indeed 1/24 scale, my money would be on this one. If not now, I'd say a good chance the next!

I also think a 1/48 scale Vulcan would be a very good seller too!

Looking forward to seeing the new project either way on Saturday.   

Being 100 years of the RAF it might be an early biplane!.. I hope not, my preference would be a Tempest, but I've just checked the mouldings in my unmade Typhoon kit (god it's gorgeous!) and note that the Napier Sabre sprue is not in isolation and there are bits of very Typhoon parts mixed in with it, that's making me think not a Tempest. My money is on a Defiant, because they had very full access to that when it was being restored at Rochester.

Graham

I really hope it isn't a Gladiator. I want Airfix to flourish and they have been struggling of late. If I were their accountant, I'd push for a Spitfire IX/16, (low & high back boxings obvs) or maybe a high back Mustang of some sort first. Only then go for a Corsair/late 109/late 190. This In my opinion would make them money and keep us reasonably happy.

I will settle for 'reasonably' because my favoured choice, of a Vigilante or Phantom, wouldn't please that many of us.  

The 1/24th Spitfire Mk1  has been in production forever, so presumably it's been a good earner for them. The tooling is well past it's best though and it looks like a serious candidate for replacement, but I suspect a MkIX would be most likely this time round...

...but I said pretty much the same before they announced the Typhoon,

Cheers,

Bill.

10 hours ago, Uncarina said:

...announced this weekend! So I was told by an Airfix representative. Could it be a Tempest?

Cheers,  Tom

1/24 Griffon bubble top Supermarine Spitfire, E E Lightning F.2A/F.6 or McDonnell Douglas FG.1/F-4K Phantom II

Tony