Ferrari 312F1, Chris Amon, Monaco 1967. 1/12, MFH.

pg265

Just beautiful and immaculate work.  I have a MFH Lotus 49 and 99t in 1/12 waiting for work.  

I noticed your gauges and I thought your cockpit layout looked to formal and perfect.  So I used our friend google to look up images of the 312F1 cockpit.  To my surprise I saw that in many cases the gauges on these cars look just like you have them set all square and level.  

For those on here that are not racing enthusiasts, a race car driver dials in every detail of their cockpit and fit.  So in the days of analog gauges they would rotate each gauge so that all needles pointed straight up at optimal reading.  For example the tachometer needle would point straight up at their ideal shift point.  There might be some room to rev above that shift point though.  Ideally you down shift going into the corners but sometimes a corner falls between ideal shift points and you have to over rev a bit or short shift and be under the ideal power band.  With many corners at many different speeds and only 5 or 6 years to choose from not every corner could be perfect.  The gearing had to be compromised based upon the shift points for the straightway and the exit of the last corner leading onto the straight alway as normally you want perfect gearing to reach maximum speed in a straight line.  Further regardless of what the engine reved to it might only make useful power between 8,000 and 12,000 rpm for an engine like this one.  So outside of that range you would feel power start to drop off in a hurry.  The useful rev range in a race car is often pretty narrow and nobody is home at the low RPM we would expect to have power in a street car.

In some cases drivers would also tape over any portion of the gauge they did not need to see so if the needle was outside their view they knew they would too high or to low in the rev range to make good power.  

It looks like though Ferrari in the late 1960’s was pretty much telling the drivers to drive the car as they set it up although I have seen some photos where the driver may have canted the gauges a bit.  Also it looks like in some cases they were printing the gauge faces so that peak RPM appeared at the top of the gauge by instead of aligning the gauge itself the adjusted the labeling of the RPMs.  

Another note this car was a real screamer, looks like peak RPMs were are 12,000.00 rpm.  Being a V-12 it would have to be an unforgettable sound. 

While I am a plane enthusiast my first love is and always has been auto racing.  

Edited by cbk57

On 3/11/2019 at 7:14 PM, cbk57 said:

Just beautiful and immaculate work.  I have a MFH Lotus 49 and 99t in 1/12 waiting for work.  

I noticed your gauges and I thought your cockpit layout looked to formal and perfect.  So I used our friend google to look up images of the 312F1 cockpit.  To my surprise I saw that in many cases the gauges on these cars look just like you have them set all square and level.  

For those on here that are not racing enthusiasts, a race car driver dials in every detail of their cockpit and fit.  So in the days of analog gauges they would rotate each gauge so that all needles pointed straight up at optimal reading.  For example the tachometer needle would point straight up at their ideal shift point.  There might be some room to rev above that shift point though.  Ideally you down shift going into the corners but sometimes a corner falls between ideal shift points and you have to over rev a bit or short shift and be under the ideal power band.  With many corners at many different speeds and only 5 or 6 years to choose from not every corner could be perfect.  The gearing had to be compromised based upon the shift points for the straightway and the exit of the last corner leading onto the straight alway as normally you want perfect gearing to reach maximum speed in a straight line.  Further regardless of what the engine reved to it might only make useful power between 8,000 and 12,000 rpm for an engine like this one.  So outside of that range you would feel power start to drop off in a hurry.  The useful rev range in a race car is often pretty narrow and nobody is home at the low RPM we would expect to have power in a street car.

In some cases drivers would also tape over any portion of the gauge they did not need to see so if the needle was outside their view they knew they would too high or to low in the rev range to make good power.  

It looks like though Ferrari in the late 1960’s was pretty much telling the drivers to drive the car as they set it up although I have seen some photos where the driver may have canted the gauges a bit.  Also it looks like in some cases they were printing the gauge faces so that peak RPM appeared at the top of the gauge by instead of aligning the gauge itself the adjusted the labeling of the RPMs.  

Another note this car was a real screamer, looks like peak RPMs were are 12,000.00 rpm.  Being a V-12 it would have to be an unforgettable sound. 

While I am a plane enthusiast my first love is and always has been auto racing.  

Thanks a lot for kind comments Mates!

@cbk57 you should (must!) like this add with Ferrari F1 engine song, with 3 of my all time favorite Ferrari formula 1: Tipo 500, 312F1 and 312B...

Pascal

2 hours ago, pg265 said:

Thanks a lot for kind comments Mates!

@cbk57 you should (must!) like this add with Ferrari F1 engine song, with 3 of my all time favorite Ferrari formula 1: Tipo 500, 312F1 and 312B...

Pascal

Oh man, the whine of modern and early modern F-1s is A M A Z I N G.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the kind comments.

Small progress ...

Preparation and installation of the hose and the serflexes on the pipes of the cooling system.
The tightening of the collar is simulated using aluminum foil and a piece of welding wire.

Same preparation for the 2 cooling scoops.
Test and alignment of the 1/2 rear axles and rods of the anti-roll bar.

b15a9f10.jpg

0f79f610.jpg

b9ca7110.jpg

c33aed10.jpg

e4ca3010.jpg

76838310.jpg

7a618f10.jpg

Pascal