Hasegawa Nakajima Ki 84 Hayate

dennismcc

So nice to see you cracking away on this bird Dennis.   I don’t know why we don’t see more of these birds in the build section.   I always liked the lines on the Frank.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us Dennis,

Troy 

57 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

So nice to see you cracking away on this bird Dennis.   I don’t know why we don’t see more of these birds in the build section.   I always liked the lines on the Frank.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us Dennis,

Troy 

Thanks Troy, yes it has been an on and off project but I really want to crack on with it now, to keep me in the modelling groove I have started another build to fill in the time while I'm waiting for paint to dry/cure between masking sessions.

Cheers

Dennis

10 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I might have to grab my Ki-84 and smuggle it back to Singapore with me when I go back.    Hmmmmmmmm.  Awesome updates Dennis.  

Troy 

Thank you Troy, it is a very nice kit of a very important subject, I can't wait to get the top paint on so that I can remove all the masking and see what kind of mess is under it, anything could be happening in there, though I hope all is well.

Cheers

Dennis

Well yesterday I finally got some time to put some paint on the Hayate, for this I used Sovereign Colourcoats ARJ01 Imperial Japanese Army Khaki which is the same as ACJ22 IJAAF #7 Ohryoku nana go shoku, no I do not understand it either but if I could pronounce it it would sound most impressive. It has been known as Homeland Defence Khaki to me it is a greeny brown colour.

The paint was thinned 50:50 with Xtracolor thinner and airbrushed beautifully, though I do not like airbrushing matt paint I find it easier to airbrush gloss paint.

Here is the result.

tLju3E.jpg

Not forgetting this bit.

YdIqhL.jpg

Today I had to redo some bits that were a bit thin, then I could wait no longer and ripped off all the masking to reveal this

L5FW0e.jpg

uJOyfu.jpg

I'm rather pleased with the result, I will curb myself from fiddling more and will leave it to thoroughly dry before the next stage, meanwhile this is keeping me busy.

d7mCeW.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Great progress.  I'm right behind you, strickly building OOB to practice NMF undercoat with hairspray chipping. 

White home defense bands and red markings completed/masked off over the weekend.  Did the yellow leading edge last night, with some hairspray to try my hand at a little leading edge chipping....worked well.   Think I am going to do the underbelly tonight...with some hairspray and chipping of course.  Turkey weekend spent getting the green on the top and chipped up.  Then add the yellow no-walk areas on top of the wings.  At least that is the plan as it stands now.  Watching your build for motivation.  

Looks to me you are doing the markings that come with the kit (dual yellow fuselage bands and the yellow tail markings)?  

You are right about the masking....there is a ton of it, but it's pretty logical and straight line.  

Cheers

Collin

17 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Now that Dennis looks very, very nice indeed. Are you going for a work beaten up finish or keeping it clean?

Regards.Andy 

Thank you Andy, I'm rubbish at the scrap yard look, plus I hate to mess up a nice paint job so I usually just go for some mild dirtying up and fading of paintwork.

Cheers

Dennis

16 hours ago, Collin said:

Great progress.  I'm right behind you, strickly building OOB to practice NMF undercoat with hairspray chipping. 

White home defense bands and red markings completed/masked off over the weekend.  Did the yellow leading edge last night, with some hairspray to try my hand at a little leading edge chipping....worked well.   Think I am going to do the underbelly tonight...with some hairspray and chipping of course.  Turkey weekend spent getting the green on the top and chipped up.  Then add the yellow no-walk areas on top of the wings.  At least that is the plan as it stands now.  Watching your build for motivation.  

Looks to me you are doing the markings that come with the kit (dual yellow fuselage bands and the yellow tail markings)?  

You are right about the masking....there is a ton of it, but it's pretty logical and straight line.  

Cheers

Collin

Hi Colin, great kit isn't it, I'm not brave enough to go for the same type of finish as you so mine will be just mild weathering, and yes I am going for the box cover markings, though I will cheat and use the kit decals for the tail markings, not something that I usually do as I do not like decals but the red shadow on the tail symbol had me worrying about getting it right.

Cheers

Dennis