Hasegawa Nakajima Ki 84 Hayate

dennismcc

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

WOW Dennis, that looks utterly amazing.   I can also see why everyone who reads this now wants to bust out their Ki-84!    Really turning out the doggies danglies man

Thank you for the kind words, so far, so good, after so long without being at the bench I was a bit worried about it but it looks fine apart from the fact that the wing "bandages" are about 3-4 mm too wide.

4 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Outstanding paint job!! Wow!

Cheers

Alan

Thank you very much Alan, it does mean a lot.

17 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Fantastic paint work, Dennis!

Kev

Thanks Kev, that's really nice of you, I just hope the rest goes as well.

Cheers

Dennis

Well I could not leave well alone, knowing the "bandages" were too wide I had to do something about them, so out with the Tamiya tape and paper, a quick sand down to remove the slight lip and out with the airbrush, I'll let the undersides dry before doing the topside.

f8sMHU.jpg

Masked off and sanded down

tbrL2J.jpg

Undersides airbrushed

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Keep it up Dennis. I completely ruined mine yesterday. Had a nice chipped aircraft and forgot the rule of water based paints. All masking/chipping done, needed to put a final sealant coat on the entire model so I can use a filter and oil dot weather which requires an acrylic Matt or semi-Matt clear coat to protect the finish. Had a mental moment and sprayed on acrylic Matt to seal the entire model. Well the acrylic Matt coat completely pulled up and destroyed all the paint since the hairspray was still active underneath it. Lesson learned. I should have used a enamel based sealant first to cover and seal in the hairspray/paint so it wouldn’t react. 

Regardless that’s how you learn. It was a great build, so good I went online and bought the same kit and will try it again. 

So Im cheering you onto the finish line. 

Cheers

Collin

Wow Colin that sounds like a right disaster, I think we all have that silly moment when if we really thought about what we were doing we would know that it was wrong. But at least you haven't lost your enthusiasm for the subject, and armed with fresh knowledge you will make a success of it.

Cheers

Dennis

Going back a few pages, I sent off for some self adhesive lead foil (fly fishing stuff) to have another go at my failed attempt to attach hydraulic lines to the undercarriage legs, it duly arrived and to my amazement it actually worked. It may not be an expert job but I am pleased with it, the photo showed that I needed to pinch it in a bit to conform to the hydraulic pipe (fuse wire) and that the chrome on the seal area needs touching up.

All set to go.

LlftJG.jpg

And the finished article, not earth shaking but new to me.

cxMpx8.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Nice work Dennis! 

Im not sure what is available across the pond, but here in the states we have sets that come with varying thicknesses of lead wire (again, same/same, fly fishing stuff) from .010, .015, .020, .025, .030 and .035:

1128823_63638_is

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice work Dennis! 

Im not sure what is available across the pond, but here in the states we have sets that come with varying thicknesses of lead wire (again, same/same, fly fishing stuff) from .010, .015, .020, .025, .030 and .035:

Thanks for that and the steer, I will have to look out for that, at the moment I am using fuse wire but that limits me to about 2 or 3 usable sizes.

Cheers

Dennis