Hasegawa Nakajima Ki 84 Hayate

dennismcc

6 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

aluminum adhesive furnace tape works well too, a roll will last forever!

I also use it for raised surface panels

Thanks Shawn I've just looked that up on eBay and I can get it, I'll try the Fly Fishing foil first though.

Cheers

Dennis

With the engine ready to go it was time to look at other areas, the drop tank halves were glued together and the seams sanded down, the main wheel halves were glued together and sanded, after which they were painted with my version of tyre colour, Humbrol 67Matt Tank Grey, the tail wheel tyre was also painted at this time. The tail wheel cover was painted with H85 satin black, though it may have been canvas, will check some other Japanese aircraft reference books to see what they have.

I had seen a build on HS were the builder had raised the flaps, I thought this was a great idea and followed his lead and the photos in the build thread. http://hsfeatures.com/features04/ki8432ir_1.htm

So out with the modelling knife and away we went.

tlnAsu.jpg

1tvJma.jpg

9COp8h.jpg

The landing light and surround were painted, the wing spar inserted and the wing halves glued together. The seams were then filled, sanded and polished. I had some problems with the seam splitting in various places as I handled the wings, it would seem that my CA had gone off. So I opened a new bottle of CA (Zap a Gap Medium CA) and the difference was astonishing, it looks like the long layoff did not suit it.

With the wings sorted they were offered up to the fuselage and the fit was really nice so out with my new CA and the wings and fuselage were joined. The wing to fuselage joint on both sides had a very small gap which I filled with Mr Surfacer 500 using a cocktail stick (toothpick), the excess was then wiped off using a cotton bud dipped in Mr Colour thinner. I like this method as it fills the gap but leaves a panel line in place.

36MuaQ.jpg

j4zGlH.jpg

dB8Xyl.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

And on we go

Next up the tail planes were attached, this needed some masking tape to hold them in place while the CA went off as one was low and one was high despite the interlocking tabs. The resultant small gap was treated in the same way as the wing to fuselage joint.

Frustratingly the tail planes were not even so in the end I had to break off the offending item and start again, this was successfully re attached and the end result was even.

S5Ax2Y.jpg

I then decided to not to use the engine holder with the open cooling gills as I thought that they would be closed with the engine shut down and cold, could be wrong but that was my reasoning.

Then more real life intruded and the Hayate was again sat back on the shelf as my wife’s new garden project took more of my attention and it was also time to sort out my new and old garages ready for fettling my bikes ready for the summer.

then it was September and the weather had turned, and I had completed all my summer jobs so it was back to the bench and the Hayate. Though it was not easy to remember what I was going to do next but I did catch up again.

The first job was to check over the airframe for CA fingerprints and scratch marks and buff them out, then trying to decide on the sequence of painting for the white (bandages) and yellow stripes and walkways etc.

But I could not do the white parts until I sorted out the canopy as the white overlapped it, so the clear parts were dipped in Klear and left to dry in my lettuce saver.

I decided to use the Aires resin headrest as it was more detailed than the kit part so it was cut free from it’s moulding block and shaped to fit the fuselage, a hole was drilled in the bottom to accept the pin on the fuselage, it was then painted and fitted.

lHPSbj.jpg

Then it was the turn of the flaps as these will be posed closed it took some time to get them to be a snug fit.

With the above jobs done I started to paint the small detail parts, first up was the external tank fittings these were painted with matt aluminium (Humbrol), and then the undercarriage covers (inside) with Humbrol 78.

Once the clear parts were dry the paint masks were applied, these were from the Makatar set and were Kabuki tape which made it hard to make out what they were, in the end I removed the borders which just left the actual masks on the backing.

hXvAPt.jpg

The front and rear clear parts were then glued to the fuselage using CA, the sliding centre section was masked inside and then mounted on a cocktail stick with Blu Tac ready for painting.

Using Xtracolor X141 white I airbrushed the “bandage” markings on the wings and fuselage, taking the measurements from the kit decals, these were left for a couple of days and then masked off.

VyqqlL.jpg

Then using Xtracolor X106 I airbrushed the yellow sections of the airframe, fuselage stripes, the leading edges of the wings and the tail. Still to paint are the propeller blades which have been painted with Humbrol H78 and masked off for the yellow markings and the propeller spinner.

I left the yellow for a few days and then masked off the wing leading and trailing edges with Tamiya tape, the two yellow stripes were a bit more of a problem getting straight lines, in the end I used the curvy Tamiya tape which though not perfect was better than my first attempt with ordinary Tamiya tape.

u0YvJo.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

The latest installment

Prop blades all masked up ready for paint.

08Ajmg.jpg

Painted and then I removed the masking tape from the prop blades and touched up the green where the yellow had snuck under the tape revealing this.

8X627e.jpg

Then I collected all the bits that need to be painted with the underside colour and attached them to either a plastic label with blue tack or in the case of the drop tanks with cocktail sticks after drilling a hole in them.

g2ygrM.jpg

I painted the aerial mast and pitot with Colourcoats ARJ01 Japanese Army Khaki, it brush painted very well but I will use ACJ22 for the top colour unfortunately upon checking I found that it also is matt and not satin which is disappointing as I will now have to polish areas where the small decals will go.

The engine cowl and cowling gills were fixed  in  place using Blu Tac and all was ready for paint.

VMKjf2.jpg

ZXPAt4.jpg

The undersides were then airbrushed with Xtracolor 016 Hemp, with my normal 50:50 mix of paint to thinners, I was going to use Colourcoats but I found that I had an opened  tin of Xtracolor so went with that

I leftv that to dry overnight and then made up a lightened underside colour using a 50:50 mix of Hemp and white diluted with  Xtracolor thinner at 50% paint 50% thinners and airbrushed the undersides and underside parts with this mix in random patterns to break up the "solid" paint work.

DKUrVB.jpg

PRb5nr.jpg

And that brings us bang up to date, I will leave it alone for a couple of days now before painting the topsides.

It's really nice to be back in the swing of things, it's been frustrating having a brand new study and not having the enthusiasm to use it.

Cheers

Dennis

On 11/7/2018 at 11:20 AM, Shawn M said:

aluminum adhesive furnace tape works well too, a roll will last forever!

I also use it for raised surface panels

Yep, great stuff, Shawn. I used it at my old house to seal all of the ductwork there. (I really need to do it here too.)

As cheap as it is, it makes an all-around great hobby accessory.

8 hours ago, steel_tiger said:

Here are some of the pics of my build. I went with flaps up as well. All markings stenciled and airbrushed.

Now that's a nice looking build, it looks good in that scheme.

Cheers

Dennis

2 minutes ago, kensar said:

Very nice build here.  One question - there is a lot of paint chipping on the bottom and almost none on the top.  Was the paint on the bottom more prone to chipping?

Well, think about this: Rolling down the airstrip a lot of sand and pebbles are going to be thrown up by the wheels and prop wash.

I remembered that the anti glare panel needed to be done so I airbrushed it using Sovereign Colourcoats ACJ08 Mitsubishi Cowl Blue Black, I could have done the topside colour first and then masked off for the panel but preferred to airbrush it and mask it off before the topside colour. I also took the opportunity to airbrush some more yellow on the wings that I had missed where the walkway lines will go.

MXhlos.jpg

While I am waiting for the paint to dry fully I decided to start on a Hasegawa Raiden, more soon.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc