Imperial Tie Fighters - Dual Build - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

Started things off by getting the two front cockpit and top glass sections painted. After paint, I got some oil wash on these as well

20181117_124358-XL.jpg

After Those dried and I took the excess oil off with cotton bud, I set about to paint some of the detail parts on the bodies. This was an almost light green color if you apply the OOB decals to these areas, but I went with a lighter ghost gray then some more oil wash over those sections. 

The fit of all front and top glass parts was so good, I didnt feel any need to glue any of them in, as all 4 parts were a nice press fit. Overall, Im very pleased with the masking on the glass parts and the detail painting, as once again MRP paint came to the rescue with near flawless flawless application, and nearly no bleeding what-so-ever:

20181118_203715-XL.jpg

20181118_203732-XL.jpg

20181118_203736-XL.jpg

Even after closing everything up, in the right light, our little Tie pilots are still visible:

20181118_203841-XL.jpg

Top glass turned out decently too:

20181118_203857-XL.jpg

20181118_203912-XL.jpg

Not much effort put into shining up the glass on these, as you can see, there is a scratch running RIGHT through the middle of one of the glass parts, and thought that dipping them in Future was just a bit more effort that I wanted to go to, but did seem to turn out OK in the end anyway:

20181118_203920-XL.jpg

MORE.............

After the glass parts were applied, there was really not much left to do but attach the solar panel sections, and then put them on their bases.

As to the bases.....................this was/is really the only complaint so far I have had with any of the new gen Bandai kits; in this case I broke both mounts that attach the Tie Fighters to the top of the base arm. This area is extremely weak, if the wrong pressure is put on it I found, it will break with ease, and in my case, let one of the Tie Fighters tumble to the ground, fortunately with ZERO adverse effects.

I ended up having to permanently glue the top of the base section to the base arm. After that things were all wrapped up with these two Ties:

20181118_205945-XL.jpg

20181118_205955-XL.jpg

20181118_210059-XL.jpg

20181118_210106-XL.jpg

20181118_210106-XL.jpg

20181118_210119-XL.jpg

20181118_210135-XL.jpg

20181118_210324-XL.jpg

20181118_210335-XL.jpg

20181118_210251-XL.jpg

Thanks to one and all for the positive comments and encouragement along the way.    If you like Star Wars at ALL, do yourself a favor and get some of these Bandai kits!  They will make you wonder why our aircraft manufacturers cant get get fit this good. 

All in all (realizing they are much smaller though)  I've now reached my output of completed models PLUS another 1/3rd from ALL of last year in just under 3 months. 

REALLY a lot of fun to build and paint. THIS is the kind of thing that got me into modeling in the first place! 

5 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Marvellous, Brian!

Kev

Thanks Kev!

Forgot to mention............................this showed up yesterday too......

SMV76S.jpg

Im hot and heavy to start the multi-engined GB at the end of the year, and this will be a long LONG build so probably will not start this for a bit, but certainly looking forward to it! 

They look great! I like how you have mounted them rotated 90 degrees on their base, so you have that banking/leaning into a turn! 

Seems like they always did that in the movies.  There would be a group of 2 or 3 flying in perfect formation and banking in unison!

Looks cool.

:thumbsup:

These Bandai Star Wars kits are so much fun, and it makes you wonder why more manufacturers don't try to adopt some of their "snap fit" technology into more normal kits.  There are spots in all models where not having to use glue would really help out the modeler!

Thanks guys! They are some of the best engineered kits I've ever worked on.

9 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

They look great and I can't wait to start in on mine, but is that not a crack along the right-hand front side of one of them? Sixth picture down in the last set above my post.

No, it's not a crack, but a big scratch. I was trying to pry off the front face on it using a needle in a pin vice, as it was initially off kilter, and ended up scratching the hell out of it. I didnt realize it was there until after I added the oil wash. I decided to just let sleeping dogs lie since it was a MoJo build anyway.

28 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks guys! They are some of the best engineered kits I've ever worked on.

No, it's not a crack, but a big scratch. I was trying to pry off the front face on it using a needle in a pin vice, as it was initially off kilter, and ended up scratching the hell out of it. I didnt realize it was there until after I added the oil wash. I decided to just let sleeping dogs lie since it was a MoJo build anyway.

Ack, its just blaster scoring.

Thanks gents!  Yeah, these were fun all right..................was thinking about taking some mineral spirits and seeing if i could get the black oil highlighting out of that scratch so it didnt show up so well, but they are in the display cab now, and will not be contest entrants, but more likely display entrants only, so I probably wont bother and chalk it up Rays plan of blaster scoring. :innocent:

22 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks Kev!

Forgot to mention............................this showed up yesterday too......

SMV76S.jpg

Im hot and heavy to start the multi-engined GB at the end of the year, and this will be a long LONG build so probably will not start this for a bit, but certainly looking forward to it! 

Goofball! I know why you're broke..... :)

Nice TIEs BTW, very cool!!

Edited by BiggTim