Pastor John

Revell Bf 109 G-10 Erla

2 hours ago, mattlow said:

I think we ought to leave John some room to post his ongoing build.... :)

Matt

His own fault for choosing that subject :lol:

My build.....mmmmmmm I hate masking - I chose a subject with minimal masking and all I have had are problems! The Alclad aluminium would not stick to the Mr Hobby 1500 black spray. I only used Maskol fluid on it and it was enough to pull it off! As for the RD band I had already made it once but made it too wide. On that occasion the low tac Tamiya flexable 1mm tape pulled off a little of the Mr Paint acrylic white and I patched it up before I realised I had to do the whole thing again anyway! Second time the low tack tape pulled off much more!!!!! Mr Paint RLM 76 excellent smelly stuff in the glass jar no peeling off the black spray, 20 year old Poly Scale (what they called RLM 83) again no problem but I do not think I will be using this black Mr Hobby spray again. As for my Polyscale RLM 83!!!!! it is much too light but was the only RLM 83 I had available. I will make it semi gloss at the end and that might help darken it a little. Not having so much fun - prefer designing! Yes these Erla G-10's are a much under-studied subject. Will show photo soon

Strange that it wouldn't stick. I never had any problems with mr surfacer 1500 black. I hope that your next primer causes no problems.

Firstly, let me say I know very little about Luftwaffe camouflage so I'm in no position to challenge anything postulated on this forum about this subject matter.   Having said that, Wouter has commented on the camouflage of the first Bf-109 depicted in that series of images.   He has indicated to an area immediately rearward of the cockpit that appears to show two different coloured paints.   To my eye, that appears to be the shadow of the canopy's armoured glass on the fuselage.   I'm not saying this is a single tone scheme, I'm simply saying that that particular area of the airframe appears to be affected by shadow.    Just my 2 cents....     Cheers, Guys.   

But the overall progress looks very promising...

I like the look of the green being a thrifty thin coat... just enough for camo but easy on the paint... :) . I also like that 'clean shadow' of the missing drop tank rack.. nice touch.

Matt

Looking great! Sorry about the masking lifting... we’ve all had that at some point - I combat that with a good cleaning of the plastic surface before painting followed by a good coating of primer and a shot of clear coat over the first color that will be masked... it’s a pain in the arse when the paint lifts... but I’m sure you’ll get it all sorted mate!

Cheers

Alan

Hi John

After a couple of similar incidents with the masking, I only use lacquer paints on top of masks. My favorite white for painting on stencils is now Tamiya White Primer!! It sticks much better than enamel or acrylic.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11
spelling

For the most part the Reich defense bands were brushed painted on.  I recall Swartz “8” Dora nine recovered in the 90’s still had paint brush bristles in the black and white JG -26 bands.  I recall reading this somewhere.  The allied invasion strips never looked as perfect as we represent them on our models either.   Regardless of my banter the model looks awesome John!   Awesome efforts going on here.