Revell Bf 109 G-10 Erla

Pastor John

Guest Vincent
On 1/30/2019 at 9:40 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

They are manufacturer's stencils, and were commonly applied to the Duralumin sheets at the factory. I'm presuming John used the ones from MDC. I've used them before too, and they're quite effective:

37bvFS.jpg

Kev

Thank you  :thumbsup:

Initially they were supposed to be on the outside of the a/c so that they got overpainted by camo but as war progressed manufacturers were asked to have them in the inside because thinly sprayed camo no longer hid them

All done. Too much AK varnish has meant many areas bleached out and I might try going over these areas with a little spray paint but apart from that she is done and I am feeling very prolific having now made 2 models in the last 24 months! Hope you like.

If I might share a summery of the work and some reflections...

In short throw money at any kit designed for a mass market and you can turn out a nice model - this kit is no exception, all well as designing no less than 5 new AIMS products for it  (Upper gun cowl, lower engine and cowl, Gear Bay PE, Hatches and latches PE, Late War decals) the kit used the beautiful Barracuda Studios spinner/props, super charger intake,  exhausts and oil cooler. On top of that I used Eduard's Brassin Main gear legs and covers and some parts from their PE set for the Hasegawa kit. I also replaced the terrible Revell head armour with spare from Hasegawa kit and DF loop base from Trumpeter kit. Not forgetting the wonderful metal stamp decals from MDC and Master MG 131's and HGW seat belts

If I wanted to make another with the most essential extra's I would recommend the Barracuda Spinner/prop set and oil cooler, My AIMS oleo leg housing PE and a replacement head armour item from spares box.

Painting was a headache as the RLM 83 (old name) that I had from Polyscale was too light in my own opinion, my Alclad aluminium would not stay on the Black Mr Hobby primer - even at the closing stages some came off and I back filled with some red/orange putty to look like a repair! And finally as already mentioned I used too much flat varnish  - mostly due to rapidly failing eyesight (no joke - its bad) which had significantly changed the colour but o well its certainly not monotone haha. Thanks for all the kind words over the build and thanks for pointing out errors also. I enjoying finishing this as I just love the small details that bring Monotone subjects to life. Best wishes PJ

IMGP6060.jpgIMGP6062.jpgIMGP6066.jpg

Edited by Pastor John