Revell Bf 109 G-10 Erla

Pastor John

Firstly, let me say I know very little about Luftwaffe camouflage so I'm in no position to challenge anything postulated on this forum about this subject matter.   Having said that, Wouter has commented on the camouflage of the first Bf-109 depicted in that series of images.   He has indicated to an area immediately rearward of the cockpit that appears to show two different coloured paints.   To my eye, that appears to be the shadow of the canopy's armoured glass on the fuselage.   I'm not saying this is a single tone scheme, I'm simply saying that that particular area of the airframe appears to be affected by shadow.    Just my 2 cents....     Cheers, Guys.   

But the overall progress looks very promising...

I like the look of the green being a thrifty thin coat... just enough for camo but easy on the paint... :) . I also like that 'clean shadow' of the missing drop tank rack.. nice touch.

Matt

Looking great! Sorry about the masking lifting... we’ve all had that at some point - I combat that with a good cleaning of the plastic surface before painting followed by a good coating of primer and a shot of clear coat over the first color that will be masked... it’s a pain in the arse when the paint lifts... but I’m sure you’ll get it all sorted mate!

Cheers

Alan

Hi John

After a couple of similar incidents with the masking, I only use lacquer paints on top of masks. My favorite white for painting on stencils is now Tamiya White Primer!! It sticks much better than enamel or acrylic.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11
spelling

For the most part the Reich defense bands were brushed painted on.  I recall Swartz “8” Dora nine recovered in the 90’s still had paint brush bristles in the black and white JG -26 bands.  I recall reading this somewhere.  The allied invasion strips never looked as perfect as we represent them on our models either.   Regardless of my banter the model looks awesome John!   Awesome efforts going on here. 

Just a dirty cotton bud Mark - sorry to disappoint.

Well we are never happy are we! I convinced myself that the only RLM 83 (old name) out of the bottle I had was too light - indeed the Polyscale bottle said 82 'Dark Green' and their 83 was the lighter green instead of the other way around - anyway I had no other 'Old name 83' dark green and there was a big difference between the 83 chip in the Ullmann book and that on the card provided with the Merrick volumes and so believing that what I could see in most photos was darker than what I had done and seeing that the 83 chip in the Ullmann book was darker than the Merrick cards I opted to mix Xtracolour 73 with 10% Xtracolour 71. The photos came out terrible as I was losing the light at the time but most of the model is now more a 'bronze Green' than an Olive Green and fits the Ullman chip and I think the photos better than what I had.......I think haha?  O what have I done??????? Please do not think that I am going for a two-tone green machine - it is just the way the light is hitting the middle of the right wing but that being said I have not put too much paint on

20190119-144834.jpg