Revell Bf 109 G-10 Erla

Pastor John

Guest Vincent

I've seen pictures suggesting a light overspray of one color over the 74/75/76 and some suggesting a solid repaint, probably in 81. I don't think RLM82 would make sense

I have no doubt that some of these machines were indeed in RLM 81 Green and 83 green or something like that  - almost back to square one of RLM 70/71 in 1939, early 1940!!!!!!!!!!!! It is also clear that some of them were monotone like the self destroyed G-10. Yellow nine in the background is very dark showing no contrast at all like the destroyed one so I am happy to have less work to do haha. My own theory is that the last batch of Erla G-10s were made with simplified camo scheme on top of which the Erla style small fuselage and upper crosses and decal style maintenance stencils were applied only where absolutely necessary it would seem judging by how few of them you can see. I see no evidence of field painting judging from the markings applied and the decision to wrap the colour around the lower cowl and rear fuselage on some of them - an odd thing to do in the field I would say. But!!!!! this is only my thinking and not based on any RLM directive to Erla that I am secretly sitting on and not sharing  - I am just happy to make a 109 not in RLM 76/74/75!

Also if painted like this in the field / maintenance facility using the best parts why not paint the replacement  RLM 76/74/75 engine cowls at the same time or shortly afterwards? Seen on Jg 301's Green 7 and I personally think the JG 301 yellow 5? But I was not there, I do not know what happened - I just like modelling the chaotic paint schemes of 1945 because I was turned away from art college and now have aspirations to rule the world!

Yep, you're right, no one now knows. Those who were there didn't care... :)

Just hide those aircraft from the jabos!!  If you're lurking around the edges of conifer plantations on the edges of airfields and autobahns dark green(s) is the perfect defensive colour scheme (as you say, just like some of the early 109Es that were also defensively camo'd (was that during the 'phoney war'?).

Anyway, crack on John... we need piccies... this is going to look good...

Matt

Guest Vincent

82 is way lighter and more "apple like" than on the color pic. It's almost as if it was 81/83 which does not make a lot of sense

Edit : might just be the print that "darkens" the 82. So indeed, could be 81/82 or 82/83

Edited by Vincent/MDC

1 hour ago, Vincent/MDC said:

82 is way lighter and more "apple like" than on the color pic. It's almost as if it was 81/83 which does not make a lot of sense

Edit : might just be the print that "darkens" the 82. So indeed, could be 81/82 or 82/83

83 is likely a blue colour according to research by Ullman. What we may have instead is two variations each of colours 81 and 82.

Yeah, Luftwaffe cold are 

17 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Here's another interesting example:

2210563994_091947ce87%202_zpsfdavfrga.jp

The Grafenwohr G-10 in B&W

65675020427_003496_zps8diluoli.jpg

Screenshot of same a/c in high contrast color. Note NMF on outer wing under surface.

5155189564_362f6009d4_o_zpsqqbw6mle.jpg

Photo lightened substantially showing a patch of brown outboard of the port wing root and the outer l/e, as well as on the starboard l/e near the wingtip. It may may point toward the fuselage being two colors rather than one color overall.

Personally, I'm leaning toward 81/70 rather than 82.......take a look at the prop and wing l/e's.

Cheers,

D.B.

If a contractor lacked a particular paint would he order something non-standard, rather than just paint a few parts Mono colour until normal applies arrived? 

My build.....mmmmmmm I hate masking - I chose a subject with minimal masking and all I have had are problems! The Alclad aluminium would not stick to the Mr Hobby 1500 black spray. I only used Maskol fluid on it and it was enough to pull it off! As for the RD band I had already made it once but made it too wide. On that occasion the low tac Tamiya flexable 1mm tape pulled off a little of the Mr Paint acrylic white and I patched it up before I realised I had to do the whole thing again anyway! Second time the low tack tape pulled off much more!!!!! Mr Paint RLM 76 excellent smelly stuff in the glass jar no peeling off the black spray, 20 year old Poly Scale (what they called RLM 83) again no problem but I do not think I will be using this black Mr Hobby spray again. As for my Polyscale RLM 83!!!!! it is much too light but was the only RLM 83 I had available. I will make it semi gloss at the end and that might help darken it a little. Not having so much fun - prefer designing! Yes these Erla G-10's are a much under-studied subject. Will show photo soon