Revell Bf 109 G-10 Erla

Pastor John

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Vincent

Hi

The rear hatch for the starter tank was nothing like you represented. The tank itself was a circular metal one hanging on stringers with a round cap. You can use my Me109G6 build on Hyperscale for reference

Cheers

Vincent

4 hours ago, Vincent/MDC said:

Hi

The rear hatch for the starter tank was nothing like you represented. The tank itself was a circular metal one hanging on stringers with a round cap. You can use my Me109G6 build on Hyperscale for reference

Cheers

Vincent

At the very least give the man a link!

:o

Amazing work!   Question on the finish - what is the base color you used?  Looks like RLM 02 almost?   I know a few of these aircraft were overall RML 81 or 82 (or both if you believe some of the experts) but I've never seen pics any late war -109's in a lighter shade.  I'm intrigued...

Hi John 1 this is John 0 calling, radio check over! Happy New Year to you. base colour is what we used to call RLM 83 but is now believed to be RLM 81 Green as opposed to 81 brown or 81 olive. Just poor photography and the very matt finish of the old Polyscale acrylics.

Just a note on the central belly area - most people would say I think that on these Erla simplified scheme aircraft that the whole fuselage was painted in the RLM 81 Green. They are most probably correct -  that is what I always hear but I not think it really makes any sense. It is un-needed work and paint cost and offers no benefit - even if the wings were sprayed separately from the fuselage there is still no need to try and paint underneath it with this cammo scheme - if I was doing an RLM 76/74/75 machine with natural metal wings I would not hesitate to do the belly RLM 76 also for that paint is already being used for a purpose low down on the airframe but in this case there is just no need for the RLM 81 Green to be continued - it is only my interpretation - as far as I know none of the 5 or so RLM 81 Green Erla machines we know of show the belly and the JG 51 reconditioned G-14 in the same paint scheme seems to have the very lowest point possible on the fuselage bottom - in what looks like bare metal - again pointing to no need to paint where the upper RLM 81 green no longer serves its original purpose for ground concealment and simplicity 

Like I say only my interpretation and what I only wanted model to look like haha

43 minutes ago, Pastor John said:

as far as I know none of the 5 or so RLM 81 Green Erla machines we know of show the belly and the JG 51 reconditioned G-14 in the same paint scheme seems to have the very lowest point possible on the fuselage bottom - in what looks like bare metal - again pointing to no need to paint where the upper RLM 81 green no longer serves its original purpose for ground concealment and simplicity 

Like I say only my interpretation and what I only wanted model to look like haha

Thanks for all the info.   Makes perfect sense to me.  Again, great work John!   

A while back, I built a late war G-6 with a really odd-ball camo scheme, for some reason I really like uncommon paint work.  You mentioned above a reconditioned G-14 in the same overall green paint job.  I'm pretty intrigued.   Any chance you could point me to a picture or two of this aircraft?   Might be a subject for an upcoming build.

Best regards,

John

Nice work John

That second hatch below the MW50 filler point is usually attributed as a hang over from earlier ERLA G-5/G-6 production (I think) which were equipped with GM1 (nitrous oxide) or a different version of the MW50 system. The hatch covered a pressure release valve I believe. Current thinking is that many of the fuselage panels with the two cutouts were produced (or remained in production) and ERLA carried on using them right up to the end (not sure if their K-4s had the same panel?). So the hatch covers nothing, it may have been welded shut or just left locked..

I'd agree with your logic regarding the panel between the wings.... though I doubt the demarcation was too tidy. One thing to note on the dark green ERLA machines is that some of the maintenance info appears on a light ground, almost as if they have been masked from a light scheme while the green was applied. This is apparently because they were decals and were printed with a light background.

Matt