Question Re: Trumpeter Mustang Mk III

Brad-M

"horrifyingly bad" is in fact in the eye of the individual gents.............and certainly means different things to different people.    Id say those that dont see it as horrifyingly bad should and will build it and be happy leaving it OOB, or even modifying it.............those that do see it in that light wont and will wait for a suitable replacement kit.

The facts of what are wrong with the kit are known and accepted by anyone who knows what it should look like. Its simply a matter of how bad the individual modeler sees it. 

A monster is a monster, but what determines a monster is in the perspective you have. While a human might consider Frankenstein a monster, if you are a mouse, a house cat is a monster.

When it comes to  "how bad" a kit is, its all a matter of opinion.  Its that simple.

9 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

"horrifyingly bad" is in fact in the eye of the individual gents.............and certainly means different things to different people.    Id say those that dont see it as horrifyingly bad should and will build it and be happy leaving it OOB, or even modifying it.............those that do see it in that light wont and will wait for a suitable replacement kit.

When it comes to  "how bad" a kit is, its all a matter of opinion.  Its that simple.

Quite right.

If a kit has issues, some people won't build it - very sensible and totally understandable.

What I don't understand is why through persistent and repetitive criticism, often using unecessary emotive words, there sometimes seems to be an attempt to persuade everybody else that they shouldn't build it either !

Why does it appear to become so personal, almost an insult that a manufacturer should produce something that isn't up to their personal standards ?

Nobody holds the moral high ground when it comes to what an individual should or shouldn't build.

It could also be considered as a form of bigotry.

"Bigotry" - noun - "intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself"

Edited by PhilB

It's less a matter of bigotry than a matter of knowing where to look at.

Look at the photo that Mike posted to advocate his opinion that the Trumpy wing is not so bad after all.

P-51-wing.jpg

To make the Trumpy's wing fit Revell's fuselage would imply to scratchbuild the entire wing. Could I do it, I'd change my name and call myself Jerry Rutman !

Now one can build a non-laminar winged Mustang and be happy the rest of one's life. One can also build a straight wing F4U and call it a Corsair.

Who am I to contradict you?

29 minutes ago, quang said:

Look at the photo that Mike posted to advocate his opinion that the Trumpy wing is not so bad after all.

P-51-wing.jpg

To make the Trumpy's wing fit Revell's fuselage would imply to scratchbuild the entire wing. Could I do it, I'd change my name and call myself Jerry Rutman !

Now one can build a non-laminar winged Mustang and be happy the rest of one's life. One can also build a straight wing F4U and call it a Corsair.

Na... a straight wing Corsair would be a Vanguard...

OLcvBSR.jpg

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, quang said:

Who am I to contradict you?

I think you missed my point.

I'm not talking about the accuracy of the kit as it obviously is inaccurate!

:D

Edited by PhilB

Looking at the photo of the upper wing root/wing profile - looks easily fixed to me with some judicious bending of the wing upper-surface - but I'm probably missing something (I usually am!)  :)

Afraid I'm the kind of numpty that looks at a kit - works out what can be improved - and gets the razor saw out.

Of course if there is a more accurate kit in the first place, I'll take that route, but I do relish a bit of 'correctional' work!

The thing I really can't abide when it comes to the merits of various pieces of plastic though is all the hyperbole they seem to generate...  :blink:

Iain

14 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

......those that do see it in that light wont and will wait for a suitable replacement kit.

Me.  I'll just keep waiting.  No hurry.  Too much other stuff to do in the meantime.  It's still a sow's ear IMHO, no matter how you try to dress it up. It's the old lipstick on a pig scenario, or whatever.  Wish someone would do a nose plug for the old Revell B/C kit.  I'd be satisfied with that.  I'm sure they would sell.  Lots of the old Revell kits around gathering dust on modeler's shelves, several in my stash..

Gentleman......

I think that in some ways threads like this can be good, as discussion, good bad, positive OR negative can be worth while if done in a civilized, adult non confrontational manor.

I think at adults we have to relearn how to "agree to disagree". Its VERY ok to have differing opinions as long as those opinions are:

- stated in a clear manor, preferably with some backing up of the opinion, or even a solution to it

- made in an adult fashion and a civilized tone

- not taken personally by others

I think if these guidelines are followed we can in fact learn  lot from each other's take on things.

9 hours ago, PhilB said:

Quite right.

If a kit has issues, some people won't build it - very sensible and totally understandable.

What I don't understand is why through persistent and repetitive criticism, often using unecessary emotive words, there sometimes seems to be an attempt to persuade everybody else that they shouldn't build it either !

Why does it appear to become so personal, almost an insult that a manufacturer should produce something that isn't up to their personal standards ?

Nobody holds the moral high ground when it comes to what an individual should or shouldn't build.

It could also be considered as a form of bigotry.

"Bigotry" - noun - "intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself"

I agree, blame the guys that held the gun against their heads forcing them to buy "the horrible kit". 

It would be good if people would read the entirety of what I've been saying.

First I said since it's a plastic kit, it 'could' be "changed".  That's it.  Apparently

some people think plastic kits can't be changed ... under 'any' circumstances.

Why can it not be changed ? It doesn't have a laminar flow wing. Laminar flow

is a property of physics , not design. What's wrong with the design ? The upper

wing radius is too exaggerated. So I post a photo comparing the wing radius on

the unchangeable Trumpeter wing to the Tamiya radius. Don't see any exaggerated

difference. They're not the same , as I said , but certainly not unchangeable either.

So to be clear , I never said the Trumpeter kit was great , the inaccuracies have

been pointed out for years. I just said it was 'changeable' and I still believe it is.