Jump to content

F-117 Trumpeter 1:32


Koralik
 Share

Recommended Posts

When the "Shabba" (F-117) was flying out of Holloman they had a target here in downtown Albuquerque that was a tall hotel with a pointed roof with a red anti collision light on top. We'd be coming back to Kirtland from our night in the MC-130 and sometimes you'd see the F-117 downward target laser illuminating the top of the hotel. Very cool airplane...their accomplishments during Desert Storm were amazing!

 

Cheers....Ron

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

When the "Shabba" (F-117) was flying out of Holloman they had a target here in downtown Albuquerque that was a tall hotel with a pointed roof with a red anti collision light on top. We'd be coming back to Kirtland from our night in the MC-130 and sometimes you'd see the F-117 downward target laser illuminating the top of the hotel. Very cool airplane...their accomplishments during Desert Storm were amazing!

 

Cheers....Ron

And I’m willing to bet that the hotel nor the guests had any idea that the night hawk was illuminating them!?

Classic!

Cheers

Alan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

And I’m willing to bet that the hotel nor the guests had any idea that the night hawk was illuminating them!?

Classic!

Cheers

Alan

 

I'm sure they didn't! And if they didn't have the radar reflectors mounted the ATC guys didn't know they were there either!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, aircommando130 said:

 

I'm sure they didn't! And if they didn't have the radar reflectors mounted the ATC guys didn't know they were there either!

 

Well, when close enough to the ATC radar antenna, they would be seen on screen without the reflectors (talking own experience) but then....IT WOULD BE TOO LATE.

Anyhow, quite some years ago they visited an airbase in the south of the Netherlands, and they were shown around the country flying several routes, and so they passed the airport i was working at in ATC.(civil)

And indeed at close range the "cloaked" configuration didn't change the radar return, the aircraft showed on radar, but at a slightly larger range, say more than 10-15 NM out, without the reflectors no returns could be seen.

I remember they flew with 2 aircraft, one with the reflectors and one without, like a kind of demonstration of stealth. Very interesting day i must say, had a lot of fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know during Desert Storm they would take off...retract all their antenna's and the pilot would listen to his music while he flew the mission...come back...extend the antenna's and talk to the tanker for gas and go home. They went into some extreme high threat areas with no hits and I thank Lockheed ( they built my MC-130 too)for the technology to get that job done. I was really surprised that that one was shot down over Bosnia. Still a pretty good record for the 117! That's interesting your first hand view of seeing the 117 on radar. Thanks for sharing!

 

Cheers...Ron

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2018 at 4:09 AM, aircommando130 said:

Man...that is awesome! Great paint work on a difficult jet to model. Unfortunately most are buried in the Nevada desert now.

 

Cheers....Ron

 

Very good looking model, great work

 

To slightly hijack the thread, can i ask why they a buried in the Nevada Desert???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Robthepom said:

 

Very good looking model, great work

 

To slightly hijack the thread, can i ask why they a buried in the Nevada Desert???

 

 

The airplane was Top Secret most of it's service career and the RAM adhesive was toxic so instead of storage in the boneyard they buried them on Tonopah Test Range in individual graves so to speak and marked with it's tail number. All the parts that were usable for other airframes were removed and put back into the AF parts supply. That way the "public" will never have access and you can only see them in museums. They will have the RAM material stripped and just painted black.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...