Aires Cockpit Fit Issues???

Bill Cross

Aires wheel bays that go into the wings are an almost universal problem because they don’t seem to take into account the thickness of the plastic wing parts.  You usually have to thin the plastic of both the upper and lower wings paper thin to get a chance of them fitting.  Wheel bays that go into the fuselage like on the F-104, F-16, Mig-23, etc. usually aren’t a problem because there is usually a lot of empty space in the fuselage.  The only problem might be if the wheel well “box” is slightly smaller than the well opening in the fuselage.

Lol, that's funny you ask... 

Some Aires sets fit nicely, others are aweful. The F-104 cockpit is certainly one of the worst fit ever.

Mine took me almost as long to fit than to build the whole model. :)

I talked about this in the WIP, iirc...

However the casting and details are so beautiful that it's "almost" forgiven. ;)

Edited by Zero77

Well, I think I went an add-on too far with the air brakes, but I'm too far into it to quit now. I am grateful to know I can drop the wheel wells into the kit parts, that should work. The cockpit will take thinning, so stay tuned. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. Like with Jennings, I don't understand why Sprue Bros. and others are still carrying this stuff without some kind of user warning. I emailed them but have heard nothing.

Used the wheel wells for the Trumpy Mig-23MF and they fitted great. I'm also currently using their A-7E cockpit and it fits easily and doesn't clash with the intake trunking.

Have seen some other horror shows though, so think I've just got lucky so far.

47 minutes ago, Bill Cross said:

Well, I think I went an add-on too far with the air brakes, but I'm too far into it to quit now. I am grateful to know I can drop the wheel wells into the kit parts, that should work. The cockpit will take thinning, so stay tuned. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. Like with Jennings, I don't understand why Sprue Bros. and others are still carrying this stuff without some kind of user warning. I emailed them but have heard nothing.

Who did you email, Sprue Brothers or Aires?  I’m not sure what the expectation is of a shop selling items is.  They simply sell product.  Everyone knows that some resin sets take a lot more fitting than others and even Aires says some thinning of parts may be required.  What user warning should shops put on products and where does it end?  Should they be expected to test each set and say this fits and this doesn’t?  What about paints, should there be a warning that a paint doesn’t accurately represent a color, or a kit or decal sheet has errors?  It’s not practical.  

It’s up to the buyer to determine whether a product works or not.  Fortunately, with the internet, it’s so easy to get information about almost any model product before you buy, either by finding a review, or simply asking a question on a forum.  You’ll get the answers.

Dave, we will agree to disagree.

And you conflate many small complaints such as paint color not "matching" with what appears to be a general wave of opinion here that Aires sets are, well, less-than-wonderful.

Expressing my disappointment to Sprue Bros. may induce them (if others have had the same issues) to perhaps discontinue selling the products. That's not an unreasonable notion. Perhaps enough push-back and Aires will improve their products. "Caveat Emptor?" I have spent thousands of dollars at SB and I would not think it inappropriate that they take that into consideration. It doesn't necessarily mean I will take my business elsewhere, but when an airbrush supply company refused to take back a part I incorrectly ordered because I had opened it, I did take my business elsewhere.

I don't feel as though I need to post here every time I purchase something. It would get old and you'd be complaining about that. ;)

Edited by Bill Cross

59 minutes ago, GusM said:

Used the wheel wells for the Trumpy Mig-23MF and they fitted great. I'm also currently using their A-7E cockpit and it fits easily and doesn't clash with the intake trunking.

Have seen some other horror shows though, so think I've just got lucky so far.

I have all the Aires stuff for the 1/32 A-7D, plus the Zacto corrections.

I'm interested to see how all of that will mash together.

36 minutes ago, Bill Cross said:

Dave, we will agree to disagree.

And you conflate many small complaints such as paint color not "matching" with what appears to be a general wave of opinion here that Aires sets are, well, less-than-wonderful.

Expressing my disappointment to Sprue Bros. may induce them (if others have had the same issues) to perhaps discontinue selling the products. That's not an unreasonable notion. Perhaps enough push-back and Aires will improve their products. "Caveat Emptor?" I have spent thousands of dollars at SB and I would not think it inappropriate that they take that into consideration. It doesn't necessarily mean I will take my business elsewhere, but when an airbrush supply company refused to take back a part I incorrectly ordered because I had opened it, I did take my business elsewhere.

I don't feel as though I need to post here every time I purchase something. It would get old and you'd be complaining about that. ;)

Yes, we’ll have to disagree.  While you’re free to express your opinion, I hope that SB and others won’t discontinue their products (in fact I’m sure they won’t).  The way to express displeasure with a product is to not buy it.  If enough people do that, maybe change will occur, but given that Aires still sells a lot of stuff, fit or not, it’s probably not likely either.  I’m very much against people trying to tell someone how their business should be run, and potentially affect other customers who might want to continue getting Aires products from SB, because they aren’t happy with a product and didn’t want to do the research before buying.  My message is vote with your own wallet and don’t buy if you want, but you shouldn’t try to impose your personal desire and try to ruin it for everyone.  And, as noted, some Aires stuff does fit, so throwing an entire line under the bus doesn’t seem fair.

Edited by Dave Williams

9 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Yes, we’ll have to disagree.  While you’re free to express your opinion, I hope that SB and others won’t discontinue their products (in fact I’m sure they won’t).  The way to express displeasure with a product is to not buy it.  If enough people do that, maybe change will occur, but given that Aires still sells a lot of stuff, fit or not, it’s probably not likely either.  I’m very much against people trying to tell someone how their business should be run, and potentially affect other customers who might want to continue getting Aires products from SB, because they aren’t happy with a product and didn’t want to do the research before buying.  My message is vote with your own wallet and don’t buy if you want, but you shouldn’t try to impose your personal desire and try to ruin it for everyone.  And, as noted, some Aires stuff does fit, so throwing an entire line under the bus doesn’t seem fair.

You are missing my point, Dave, in what appears more to be an expression of "how things should run." You feel I was lazy and didn't do my homework. That's your right to think so (and say so, twice).

When products don't perform, word gets around. This thread (and my email to SB) are an attempt to help other vote with their wallet. I will adapt the sets and attempt to pull a rabbit out of a hat. But reviews, complaints and others are all part of the capitalist way of doing things. I have every right (and will continue to express myself) to say to a retailer "you're selling crap here that isn't what it sets out to be." If you or anyone else doesn't agree, feel free to order some Aires stuff to counteract me (and about 10 others here), or even hide me. I make liberal use of that function.

Edited by Bill Cross
adding some bite to the original

8 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

Expressing my disappointment to Sprue Bros. may induce them (if others have had the same issues) to perhaps discontinue selling the products. That's not an unreasonable notion. Perhaps enough push-back and Aires will improve their products. 

Please don’t do that, for those of us who are able to model our way out of small fit issues these things are easily fixed.