Aires Cockpit Fit Issues???

Bill Cross

Based upon post above it looks to me like you could also thin the outer edges of the side consoles by 1mm on each side.  I don't know if that is enough but it might be close.  If you loose a little outboard detail that is not going to stand out that much when you add everything else.  Even if you need to take of more than 1mm on each side some loss to outboard detail is not going to ruin the rest of the focal points and detail.

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It's not just cockpits.  Literally every Aires set I've ever bought that required a specific fit to a specific part of a kit has utterly failed to do so.  Their Bf109 wheel wells designed (allegedly) for the Hasegawa kits are smaller than the wheel well openings.  

As were the wheel well sets for the 1/32 Tamyia A6M5. Fell right through the kit openings.

Just have to pick and choose. Slapped an Aires resin cockpit into my Trumpeter P-51B today and it fits great, but I also haven't attempted the wheel well, yet. I may only bat .500 on this kit. That size difference between the resin and plastic pit is rather substantial, though. Not sure I'd be that brave. . .

3 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

Oy. I bought the whole 9 yards: wheel wells, computer bay, air brakes.... Damn.

The wheel wells actually have a decent fit. I think the MLG one is slightly short but I was stunned when they both fit with minimal fussing.

IMG_20160714_153616-L.jpg

IMG_20160714_153626-L.jpg

IMG_20160714_212318-L.jpg

With the fuselage closed up 

IMG_20160715_185135-L.jpg

IMG_20160727_202500-L.jpg

A lot of the issues that Aires runs into is that there stuff is a perfect scale replica.  So it doesn't take the thickness of kit plastic, or any scaling inaccuracies into account.  So they're pretty much the exact copy of whatever they're representing in scale, regardless of what discrepancies there is with the kit.

And also resin has funky properties that can shrink or warp or expand based on a thousand variables.

Matt 

2 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

The wheel wells actually have a decent fit. I think the MLG one is slightly short but I was stunned when they both fit with minimal fussing.

IMG_20160714_153616-L.jpg

IMG_20160714_153626-L.jpg

IMG_20160714_212318-L.jpg

With the fuselage closed up 

IMG_20160715_185135-L.jpg

IMG_20160727_202500-L.jpg

F-104 Carl?