Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon

Vynce804

18 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Matt,

Fast progress, and your Car Door and pilot look very promising!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom,  yes quicker progress as I know how much can be built before painting and what is visible when all closed up.  The pilot is coming on and only have the arms to get right now!

cheers

matt

ok I've been giving the front cowl some more thought and after taping everything together i think i could get a good fit,  but also i can get a better fit by constructing the cowl and the fuselage together separate from the main airframe structure.  So my current plan is to detach the radiator and build the cowl and fuselage before mating to the wings and internal fuselage frame..a departure from the instructions but think its the best route to making things fit..ill let you know how i get on!   also have completed some more painting and below are 2 IP's the top one is from my original typhoon using air scales excellent decals and the 2nd one is using kit decals...you decide.  cheers

Matt

8hi8kQV.jpg

TGX4uKG.jpg

NhbruF5.jpg

VcprqfF.jpg

apsApmX.jpg

Matt,

Not sure if you caught my response to your question, so I am reposting it here:

The cowling fit was tricky for me as well. I recommend leaving the engine block unglued, so when you fit the cowlings the propeller shaft is trapped in a position that minimizes gaps between the cowling parts. Also, remove some of the plastic from the engine block above the exhausts, since this interferes with the upper cowling. Here is a recommended build sequence for adding the cowling pieces:

1. The N06/N09 assembly

2. N17/N18

3. N04/N05

4. N11

5. N10 (you can make this moveable btw if you drill a hole in the ductwork for the control rod D06 to fit in)

6. N02/N03

7. N16

I used Tamiya extra thin cement and taped the parts in place to squeeze them together. Hope this helps!

Cheers,  Tom

well I'm starting to make a bit of progress after quite a bit of head scratching and test fitting.  The problem as I've mentioned before is the from cowl which is made up of 10 separate parts that have to be lined up exactly over a complex internal structure which also has to be lined up perfectly or it won't fit !  My solution was to join the fuselage and add the 3 upper cowling pieces,  then build the lower cowl separately to include the radiator and associated structure.  Then mount the fuselage and once that is on mount the chin portion of the cowl!   evrything was stitched together using extra thin CA glue to ensure everything lined up before finally being glued with extra thin tame cement.  The big decision i had to make was to remove the engine and all of the internal structure forward of the firewall...drastic i know but essential to get a good fit...i essentially turned it into a large 1/72 scale kit!

Cheers

Matt 

7yR86Lo.jpg

EUIpc5D.jpg

zbpi46S.jpg

FJxQRDR.jpg

SzjijqG.jpg

KNZeWVV.jpg

3ErlhJS.jpg

sixAJZH.jpg

q3L2P7l.jpg

KgvjEDQ.jpg

yAqddKt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Ive finished painting the pilot figure. It was painted with Tamiya acrylics,  so i made life hard for myself!  Next time i will try Vallejo with some retarder in the paint which will hopefully allow me to blend the different shades more effectively.  cheers

Matt

07T2hFV.jpg

vaVNjno.jpg

S3d24nd.jpg

CCT36UI.jpg

All the major construction of the Car Door Typhoon is now completed.  I was worried that  would get bored building effectively the same kit back to back, but glad to say bar the occasional 'ground hog day' moment i have really enjoyed it and it has provided new challenges that weren't encountered with the bubble top.  Into paint next after a lot of masking,  but think i may finish all of the fiddly bits like weapons, undercarriage etc first  Cheers  Matt

0w6jjsN.jpg

dVsrpzU.jpg

Lpsvb7d.jpg

wN2DflU.jpg

nGlZEIB.jpg

29IJJqC.jpg

6FxvEA4.jpg

6zqt7nI.jpg