AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Paint Help Please

Aviacom

I’m having a problem with the AK Xtreme Metal Paints.

I’m having the same problems with all the shades of metal, no matter what primer (Tamiya, Mr Surfacer, etc) I use with it, the problem is the masking it.

ive left it to dry from 30 minutes to a full 24 hours but every time I mask it (I only use Tamiya Masking Tape) the tape lifts the Metal colour away.

Its now making me so angry that I just want to ditch all the bottles I have!!

Can someone please help me and give me some help, advice, etc please?

I really don’t want to go back to using Alclad at all.

Thanks

Edited by Aviacom

In my experience, Xtreme Metal must be laid down over a primer base, or tape will pull it up. You mention that you're using primer, and it doesn't seem to help, so that's a bit of a mystery. When I tested and reviewed this paint back in 2015, I definitely had adhesion issues without primer, which corrected themselves once I laid down some Tamiya Fine Grey primer:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1510

Kev

Personally I’ve had no problems myself. I do however “detach” the Tamiya tape by putting it on my forehead , then pulling it off, the applying to the model. Can’t remember where I read that but it seems to help.  I often prime with Tamiya x18 semi gloss black but I doubt  see thats making any difference. 

How old are the bottles?

Some early batches had similar problems that were down to a manufacturing issue, I believe.

I love these paints - far more forgiving than Alclad in my experience.

Iain

It looks like they've fixed all the issues they had with this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbnCdM-Rd3Y

Now I'm keen to give it a try. One thing I'd like to know though is how smelly is it?

I had to stop using Alclad because it made the whole house stink like a car paint shop for days. Didn't do my Asthma any good either!

Hi I’ve used these paints quite a lot and have primed with auto primer from a rattle can and also Tamiya gloss black,  and it has proved to be bullet proof with masking.  As mentioned above I also de-tack my tape which may have helped.  Hope you get this sorted as it’s great paint!

cheers

Matt