1/32 HS293?

32scalelover

On 12/14/2019 at 9:27 AM, Radub said:

The Arado 234 cannot carry the Hs 293. The only hard-point strong enough to carry it is under the fuselage and there is not enough clearance between the ground and the carrier. 

HTH 

Radu 

I will disagree with you.  I have several Ar-234 books that say that Ar-234 S10 was at Rechlin between October and December 1944 undergoing testing to see if the Hs 293 could be launched from the Ar-234.  From what I understand they fitted the missile under the fuselage at an angle to make proper ground clearance. There were several flights but no known launches before the program was canceled or the war ended.

I will get the LEM kit and see if I can get it to fit on my FLY Ar234B.  If not I will attach it to my HE-111.

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover

I do not know what books you have. I also have a lot of books on the Arado, possibly every book ever printed. However, by far the best book is the Monogram Monarch book

If you look in this book, you will find a diagram that shows why it is not possible to put a standard Hs 293 under an Arado. There is not enough clearance. I cannot see how you can attach the missile "at an angle", but I suspect that whoever came up with that "concept" either does not understand how missile carriers work or misunderstood/mistranslated some text. A special version of the Hs 293 (designated V6) was developed for the Arado. This did not have a the single rocket booster under the body of the rocket, but instead it had two boosters placed "at an angle" under the body of the rocket. This is possibly the misunderstanding about placing the missile "at an angle". The V6 was never tested before the end of the war. Trust me, I know what I am talking about, there is no way you can attach anything "at an angle" under the fuselage of the Arado - that would mean that the Schloss 1000 bomb rack used on the Arado has to be placed "at an angle" and there is no way to rotate that bomb rack on any axis without major re-engineering of the airframe. 

The LEM kit needs to be modified to make the V6. 

Radu 

5 hours ago, Radub said:

I do not know what books you have. I also have a lot of books on the Arado, possibly every book ever printed.

Radu 

One of the books I found it in was the Valiant Wings Ar-234 Airframe book. They even have a drawing with the Hs-293 below the fuselage.  Maybe it is wrong, but I always found their information to be well researched and correct. 

Greg

3 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

One of the books I found it in was the Valiant Wings Ar-234 Airframe book. They even have a drawing with the Hs-293 below the fuselage.  Maybe it is wrong, but I always found their information to be well researched and correct. 

Greg

I am not "critiquing" literature, I am just saying that technically it is impossible. There are wartime German drawings of the Arado 234 with Hs 293. They exist, all right, but they exist for the purpose of illustrating that the clearance is too small. I presume that the next step was to develop the Hs 293 V6 I mentioned above. 

Radu

Actually, it seems both the Ar 234 S9 and S10 were experimentally fitted with the Hs 293A, but the limited ground clearance indeed proved this to be impractical; as a result, the Hs 293 V6 was designed, which had a folding ventral fin and two laterally placed boosters, but this version of the missile was never tested. The designation for the proposed Ar 234 Rüstsatz associated with the Hs 293 was F1.

Smith & Creek (1992, p. 123 - 124) state the following:

"Other weapons proposed for the Ar 234 included the R 100 BS air-to-air missile, the FX 1400 and the Hs 293 guided missiles. The installation of the latter was first proposed at a conference held in Berlin on August 8, 1944. About a month later at Rechlin, an Hs 293 A was mounted experimentally below the Ar 234 S9. After the aircraft was damaged in a landing accident on October 6, another machine, the S10, was similarly modified, but trials held in November were to prove that it lacked sufficient ground clearance for successful launching from the Arado and tests were abandoned. Henschel then proposed the development of a modified version of the missile under the designation Hs 293 V6. In this, the twin Walter 507 B rocket engines were to be mounted at an angle to reduce the missile's overall height. Tests with the new variant were never carried out."

The same reference shows a diagram of the F1 Rüstsatz with the Hs 293 V6 missile on p .109.

Reference:

Smith, R.J. & Creek, E.J. 1992. Arado Ar 234 Blitz. Monogram Monarch - 1. 264 pp. Sturbridge, MA: Monogram Aviation Publications.

Edited by pvanroy
Typo

10 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

IIRC, the He 177 carried this?

The Hs 293A was used operationally by the He 177 and Fw 200 with KG 40, and the Do 217 with KG 100. In addition, the He 111 was used as a carrier aircraft for tests. Some Ju 290 were also adapted to carry this missile, but never actually used it.