A Wee Side Project: 1/24 Cardoor Tiffie

Uncarina

This is my first foray into 1/24 scale since I was a kid, building the MPC kits: the Airfix Cardoor Typhoon, and my second ever Airfix kit. For some reason I don't see many of these built. The parts need a little extra cleanup, but the engineering is amazing. Everything is out of the box, except for an Airscale compass decal. This is three days work, and pretty fun so far!

Cheers,   Tom

Kkj8Ftp.jpg

0zt5v7a.jpg

kj3FiBd.jpg

D1zQjF9.jpg

3awVGCn.jpg

1 hour ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Great start - love the instrument panel!

Iain

Iain, thanks! It sure is easier working in this scale.

35 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That is some beautiful work, Tom!

Kev

Kev, you are very kind! It has been fun so far, and I tried a new way to make leather: I painted the seat pad beige, covered with Quickshine, and when dry added a Vallejo Panzer Aces leather belt wash. It was quicker than using oils.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks! I originally painted it Tamiya AS-12 bare metal silver, but decoding the Humbrol paint from the Airfix instructions (all they give you is Humbrol numbers), I realized it was supposed to be neutral grey. I used Vallejo paint dabbed with a sponge, then when dry added a wash of this paint to add another layer, yet still have some of silver show. I finally added a Flory dark dirt wash.

Cheers,  Tom

Nice work, especially as that's only 3 days work.  The instrument panel looks really good. :thumbsup:  You may want to check the link in my signature to my build for a few tips.  This is a nice kit and I'd love to see what Airfix release as a follow up.

Cheers,

Michael

I would also like to know. They made this statement in their last news letter:

"We also bring you news of a slight delay in the publication of the next edition of Workbench, due to our attendance at the Scale Modelworld show and something BIG which may be happening at Telford."

Hi Tom,

Yes how funny 2 Typhoons started within a few days of each other!  Good luck with yours,  you have made a tremendous start very inspirational for me.  Mine is the bubble top version,  but I have a car door kit in my stash so will be really interested to se how yours comes out.

Are you planning to have all the engine covers off and gun bays exposed?   Also have you a particular Aircraft, squadron or colour scheme in mind?

Are you going to use much aftermarket? I also have the air scale decals,  but am also tempted by the resin intake duct and I do like resin wheels!

cheers

Matt

Edited by Vynce804

8 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Nice work, especially as that's only 3 days work.  The instrument panel looks really good. :thumbsup:  You may want to check the link in my signature to my build for a few tips.  This is a nice kit and I'd love to see what Airfix release as a follow up.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael,

Thanks! The kit gauge decals worked great: they fit and adhered well with a little Micro Sol, followed when dry by a drop of Quickshine. I then added Flory dark dirt to the areas around the gauges. Your build was fantastic, and I actually have read theough it twice for reference and inspiration. Feel free to offer any tips!

Cheers,  Tom