A Wee Side Project: 1/24 Cardoor Tiffie

Uncarina

Richard,

Thank you! This is an amazing kit, easily one of my favorite builds so far, in any scale. I’ve been really impressed with the engineering, fit, and attention to detail. I would encourage you to have at it! I’m tempted to launch into the bubbletop version next, but have to finish this first...

Cheers,  Tom

Hi Tom,  it’s looking fantastic!  I love the Subtle variation you have in the paint.  I was interested to see you didn’t fit the windscreen before painting? And are you planning on painting the markings?

I agree with you 100% about this kit, it’s a joy to build and like you I May build the other version next!

cheers

Matt 

Matt,

Thank you! It definitely took longer to paint with the fine-medium tip on my airbrush (trusty Aztek 470), but I had better control. I will be painting the canopies separately, since I’m using the Montex masks which cover the inside and outside. And yes, definitely using masks for the markings, since I wouldn’t want to hide the detail under decals! The Montex and Maketar mask sets are cheaper, finish better, and are more reliable than decal sets; not sure why more people don’t use them.

Cheers,  Tom

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Thanks! The Montex super mask set is cheaper than most decals, yet includes canopy (inside and outside) and wheel hub masks as well.

Cheers,  Tom

I've still got a full set of masks that were issued by Mal at Miracle paint masks when the Airfix kit first came out, I'd nearly forgotten about them.

Cheers

Dennis

Matt, thanks! I reread my most recent posts and realized they are a little redundant re: the Montex masks; almost reads like an advertisement! I used Tamiya custom mixes that Carl (Bloorwest) posted: 

For the yellow I used Tamiya flat yellow with some red added. I had no trouble with coverage, just added repeated thin coats to build up the paint gradually. I’m really enjoying your work as well!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks, you are very kind! Yes, the serial numbers are sprayed as well. Montex makes several sets, with this one covering the stock kit options. I love the look of this beast as well, and am looking forward to finishing the landing gear to give it the proper stance!

Cheers,  Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Last update before the RFI: I finished the landing gear (still need to add the tire slip markers), added the exhausts, the canopy (still need to add the car door details), and repositioned the starboard "G" (Try that with a decal!). Not much left!

Cheers,

Tom

QIe3izb.jpg

exYIdle.jpg

zhS4jSP.jpg

JToAUf0.jpg