Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

EC-121T Walkaround Photos

I was out at Pima this morning, and shot about 300 exterior shots of the EC-121T Warning Star.  I have several hundred shots of wheel wells on the bird at Warner Robins as well if anyone wants them.  I shot these primarily to try to get the details on top of the wings, which I barely did despite standing on top of an 8' high ladder at risk of life and limb!  Someday I'm going to get a cherry picker and/or walk on top of that wing, but meantime...  Beware - LARGE images and LOTS of them.  Externally the EC-121 is similar in detail to the civilian L-1049G with obvious differences in windows, doors, antennas, etc.  

J

Just now, Jennings Heilig said:

Sure.  I can upload the ones from Warner Robins as well if you'd like.

Thanks, Jennings. I can include those in a separate Walkaround if you're happy to upload or supply them.

Kev

Jennings, thanks for these photos, especially number 46 which shows the orientation of the ribs around the circumference of the tip tank. I've been trying to figure that out, literally for decades. Finally a good photo!

No worries!  Paul Fisher has PE coming for the tip tanks.  I’m not sure if he’s going to do the spikes for each end.  The forward one won’t be too hard, but the aft one could be a challenge to make in 1/72.

Now, about that 1/48 Super Connie kit....

Great pics Jennings.  I so need to get out to this place one day.   Only other museum I can recall that lets you get right up to the aircraft is the one at Barksdale AFB in LA.    Just a shame in a way that all those beautiful aircraft are stored outdoors.   They will eventually all end up decaying away.

BTW, is that a Shackleton in the background?  How the heck did they get their hands on one of those?   Maybe someone will use that as an example to create a conversion kit for WNW's Lancaster!  :P

Yep, it’s a Shack.  And next to it is an AEW Gannet (if a Phantom is double ugly, the Gannet is like quintuple ugly).  It’s well worth a visit.  And if you haven’t been in a few years, come back!  Displays are constantly changing, and new aircraft are constantly being added.  It’s probably the most dynamic museum there is.  Very photography friendly.  They had no problem with me brining an 8’ ladder out with me.

17 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Yep, it’s a Shack.  And next to it is an AEW Gannet (if a Phantom is double ugly, the Gannet is like quintuple ugly).  It’s well worth a visit.  And if you haven’t been in a few years, come back!  Displays are constantly changing, and new aircraft are constantly being added.  It’s probably the most dynamic museum there is.  Very photography friendly.  They had no problem with me brining an 8’ ladder out with me.

Do they ever allow folks to get inside these aircraft?

Just now, John1 said:

Do they ever allow folks to get inside these aircraft?

Generally not.  For most of the year it would be dangerously (deadly) hot inside them.  And the outdoor displays have protective (opaque) covering over the glass, so they're all very dark inside.

Here are 65 shots of the landing gear and gear wells on the YEC-121K at the Museum of Aviation in Warner Robins, Georgia.  They were taken back in 2006.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vl3e6b2jscqel4q/AACaGSS6XFhrsunNHBjRaNM2a?dl=0

And here are 98 shots of the exterior of this aircraft.  Note that despite her USAF paint job, this was a former Navy bird that was used as an electronics testbed by the Army (sorry Coast Guard and Marines...).  Thus, her external details are unique, and not representative of an in-service EC-121 AWACS platform.  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ig1cwbvandgog2i/AAA6jnpKVMULMl10ZrWcv4tCa?dl=0