Wrong colour on Dutch Decal F-4E sheet

Tony T

Am planning to build a 1/32 Tamiya F-4E hard-wing from the 32nd TFS Wolfhounds next year and have the following Dutch Decals sheet:

Unfortunately the otherwise beautifully drawn tail codes and serial are printed in a completely wrong medium or darker shade of grey and need replacing with white or something much closer. 

Are there any available generic decals that would include these code letters and serials? I can cut whole letters and numbers to recreate the stencil look. 

Cheers

Tony 
Edited by Tony T
to render link active

P.s. I should add that the pale grey codes etc in the link provided do not reflect the actual sheet letters and numbers which look like a grey used on 1990s+ third generation fighter tail codes.

I'm guessing an alternative would be to have masks cut, if drawn as vector art in Corel Draw. Anyone in the UK or Europe do these for a modest fee? 

TIA

Tony

I strongly suspect they were sprayed in 36622.

But in 1/32 they should appear more as an off-white whereas the decals, unfortunately, appear more akin to compass grey. They are considerably darker than in the BiG-H decal link.

In the absence of replacements I'm gonna put a whole stack of Falcons on DIY L-41/42/43 rails on a Da Nang Chico.  It's just about within this universe. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
decals are close to FS 36375

Hi Tony

I can cut the codes for you on the Sillouette machine but the post will take about two to three months. Our post is real third world now. Maybe someone closer has a Silouette and can cut it for you. Let me know if time is not an issue, then I will still cut and post it to you.

Nick

17 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Yet another example of matching decal inks exactly to the FS595.  I'm sure they match FS36622 perfectly, but they're utterly inappropriate for a scale model.  Scale color effect is a real thing whether some people choose to believe it or not.

Except that it probably matches 36375 !!!!!!!!!!

Tony

Have had work printed, some commercially, and am well aware of that Jennings. 

Had they actually had the codes and serials printed in 36622 I would have used them as-is!

I am, as much as anything else, warning other modellers that the incorrect colour used is closer to 36375, so avoid!

DD have acknowledged that they got it wrong, but unfortunately did not see fit to make a small correction set, so that just leaves the F-86 options on that sheet as an out-of-the-packet modelling aid. 

Whatever happened to those 1/32 white codes and number sheets that used to exist? 

Tony

Edited by Tony T
changes

I had the discussion with Luuk Boerman of Dutch Decal and also pointed this out. He is of the opinion the colour is correct as it "shows" on the pictures. I beg to differ and the faded white is more a result of weathering. It would have been better to have the white version and then weather accordingly (or not as this is a personal choice I think).

Photos of that time are not always super HD quality...oh well, happy modelling nontheless

I emailed DD a few years ago when I first bought the sheet and they acknowledged the grey is too dark for F-4E 68-443.

Don't let the picture in the Hannants link fool you - it is considerably darker grey on the actual decal. More like the grey you'd see on an F-15 mod eagle tailcode & serial. I have a photo of F-4E 68-443 and it's somewhere between white and 36622.

The Fiscal 74 TISEO LES F-4E option may have been greyer, as was customary on a few USAFE F-4Es ca.1975-1979, but I'm doing the earlier Fiscal 68 hard-wing as I want to model an original muzzle, pre Mod 566 example with AIM-4D Falcons. 

At least the F-86Fs are quite nice. And Nick/Cheetah11 is helping with masks for the F-4E, so project saved!

Tony