361st FG P-51D Colour Confirmation!!

Aviacom

After doing a lot of research on a/c from the 361st FG, I have finally found confirmation whether it was Olive Drab, RAF Dark Green or even Medium Blue that was used for the topside camouflage colours.

What the paint Code is, or the exact shade of ‘Medium Blue’ was, I am still working on!

Please see the attached pictures. Look at the text behind the rudder of the middle P-51D

7oV3V5.jpg

RwPyez.jpg

Those drawings were drawn in the eighties. They were available from Argos (later Nexus) publishing as a "pack". They are not the most accurate Mustang drawings. These show only what the "draughtsman" believed was "true" at some stage in the eighties, no hard proof of anything. 

Radu

21 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

You could spin out possible mixes till the cows come home.  Why would an East Anglia based USAAF group have had access to a Royal Navy color?  No RNAS's anywhere near where they were based.  It's already documented that USAAF fighter (and probably bomber) groups sourced civilian car paint from the British economy, so why not blue paint here?  

Can you point me in the direction of to where it’s documented about the civilian car paint please?

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

You could spin out possible mixes till the cows come home.  Why would an East Anglia based USAAF group have had access to a Royal Navy color?  No RNAS's anywhere near where they were based.  It's already documented that USAAF fighter (and probably bomber) groups sourced civilian car paint from the British economy, so why not blue paint here?  

Whatever...

5 hours ago, Aviacom said:

Can you point me in the direction of to where it’s documented about the civilian car paint please?

I've seen car paint mentioned , also paint from local stores.

One could 'theorize' without stretching too much , that they

used whatever they could get after running out of whatever they had.    :shrug:

They likely weren't concerned about what color it was as it wasn't

camo , it was just to cover the upper stripes.

:shrug::shrug::popcorn:

10 hours ago, John1 said:

Still believe that someday, a kid is going to go through his grandfathers old storage bin and find thousands of pristine color pics that answer all our lingering WW2 color questions.

We can dream can't we John  :thumbsup:

It's part of the hobby.

6 minutes ago, John1 said:

It's gonna happen Mike.  And when it does, it will conclusively prove that all those P-51's were painted bright purple and thousands of modelers who slavishly painted their Mustangs blue will break into tears. 

You mean like this?:

cLMGMJB.jpg

Courtesy of Unimax and their Forces of Valor 1/32 diecast line.