P-51 B Mustang III

Nic C.D.

20 hours ago, Nic C.D. said:

Here are a few photos of my newly built Trumpeter P-51 B Mustang III, built straight out of the box, except for seatbelts. I was wondering how this kit would build (bought for less than 30 euro) after reading so much about it. It built quite easily. Most enjoyable, actually! And in time to take the kit to Telford in 3 weeks time.

I hope you like the result; the pilot seems to be quite happy to pose for a photo next to it...

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

I hope to get another 1/32 kit ready for the deadline, but not sure I will make it...

Thanks for watching !

Nic

I was debating whether to buy this kit or not but it seems to build well for you. l take it you used the engine but sealed it all in and not used the open cowl option? There is just something about a B mustang in RAF colours. I wonder if the RAF did the same practices and their USAAF counterparts and puttied all the seams and rivets in?

Hacker

5 hours ago, Hacker said:

I was debating whether to buy this kit or not but it seems to build well for you. l take it you used the engine but sealed it all in and not used the open cowl option? There is just something about a B mustang in RAF colours. I wonder if the RAF did the same practices and their USAAF counterparts and puttied all the seams and rivets in?

Hacker

The putty and filler was applied at the factory during manufacture, so yes the RAF aircraft exhibited the same smooth surface. The RAF camouflage was added on top of that. How well that weathered through operations is another question, although photos of late and post-war camouflaged RAF Mustangs still show few rivets. Some RAF Mustang IIIs were stripped of paint to bare metal later, but difficult to tell from the photos that exist how the wings fared after that. Have to look at my photos later tonight.

Edited by R Palimaka

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, K5IKL said:

I have both the Mustang II and Mustang III so will not hesitate to give them a go.  

Outstanding job Nic.

Cheers,

Jerry   :piliot:

Just a note, that the Trumpeter "Mustang II" is not a Mustang II. It was an error on the box and instructions. It is a P-51B/C which the RAF called the Mustang III. The Mustang II was an Allison-engine version.

8 minutes ago, R Palimaka said:

Just a note, that the Trumpeter "Mustang II" is not a Mustang II. It was an error on the box and instructions. It is a P-51B/C which the RAF called the Mustang III. The Mustang II was an Allison-engine version.

Yeah.  Typographical error on my part.  Meant to use B/C and not II.  My fingers have no connection to my old brain. :D