Because there’s no such thing as too many Phantoms

TimHepplestone

8be8hoo.jpgFirst up the much documented Tamiya intakes. For those that don’t know you get this with the kit.

Which at best will give you this kind of end appearance  

UkYOWlH.jpg

They aim is to get to this

Fsk9KEk.jpg

Now living in the bottom end of Africa, am resin intakes are as common as proverbial hens teeth, so I’m going to have to go old school. It seems the options are to make liners with plasticard, or cut the intake parts off the fuselage and blend them with the other intake parts, and then try and reattach them to the kit. Feeling brave or stupid I’m goin with the latter. A couple of hours of fettling, cursing and cutting later and here are 2 halves of one intake , waiting to be painted and joined to the fuselage.

MAvqN7Z.jpg

I know, looks pretty aweful. But slowly a plan is coming together here

17 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Nice start! I have several kits in the stash, haven't done one yet. You should have asked around, I might have had an extra set of intakes! Probably would take a month to get there, though...

More like 3 months, and thats if SA customs don't decide to put a hold on it. Still waiting for some stuff from Germany, from July:(

Had a day off work today so started attacking the intakes in earnest. With all the bits cut off the fuselage, blended them together and covered them with some Tamiya white primer.

84ciegEl.jpg?1

Then was simple enough to put them together, and miracle of miracles, they more or less dropped into the fuselage. Difficult to photograph, but you can see the seam is disappearing. I'll have to get the DSLR out with tripod and small aperture to get better pics.

uqvBdSCl.jpg

Just for interest sake heres a pic I found online of the appearance of the intakes build OOB showing the seam/step I wanted to get rid of.Really a great build and paintjob but those intakes - thanks Tamiya...

5i3WBwHl.jpg

5 hours ago, DonH said:

Yay, I love Phantoms and it is great to see an old school modelling approach to fixing things rather than automatically reaching for the resin.

And if you live where I live you often don't have a choice. And if it goes pear shaped I can always make some FOD covers. 

Love big Phantoms! The F-4J(UK) is a neat looking jet...I liked the delivery paint scheme from the US. Kind of a duck egg blue. Your intake fix is awesome! My first big Phantom II ( F-4C Michigan ANG) I bought intake covers to hide the intake trunks. You could probably do like the F-16 folks do with that intake. Tape off the bottom and pour in latex white paint and then drain it out and mount it vertical till it dries. That should fill all the little impurities that won't sand out! Will be watching your progress!!

Cheers...Ron

I've done a phantom without the seamless intakes and it took a tube of tamiya putty! The work you've done here is very impressive, and it's good to see modelling skills at work. The aftermarket option is the way to go, but if you don't have that option, revert back to the modelling skills! 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve made an executive decision to do this build backwards. My reasoning is to stop my self from rushing all the dangly bits later on. So next up is the undercarriage. Tamiya provide a kind of weird mix of metal and plastic parts to make up the gear. M0H5JKZ.jpg

Like so. I’ve added a bit of wire and rod. The blue bits are ear bud tubing. Cut to length and sliced lengthways to simulate anti retraction jacks that were often fitted to parked Phantoms 

Then a coat of Tamiya white 

vXYgsjO.jpg

Finally chipped with Tamiya Dark iron with a sponge and an oil wash used Payne’s grey and a red brown colour. Also poached a couple of decals from the spares box to add some placards. The one aftermarket bit I’ve got are CMK weighted wheels so they got added. 

The final result looks like this. The anti retraction jacks painted gloss red to give a welcome bit of colour

UrzmZIB.jpg

fo80GQA.jpg