MiG-29A in Luftwaffe Service

Madmax

hi

the masking fluid is a good method , quick,  easy and efficience , nice job !!!!  maybe you already took a look at this tip ... who know , for an other build !!!??? ......I like the way this Mig 29 turns :bow:

Alain

Edited by alain11

Thanks Marcel, Brian and Alain!

Alain, I really enjoyed the Scotch Brite technique you suggested. The point of all these techniques including salt, and Marmite, and whatever tickles ones fancy -  is to achieve a certain randomness that nature provides, but the brain-guided hand can't. Modellers like Fancherello use the sponged on masking fluid followed by the Scotch Brite to really heighten the effect.

I thought I would just highlight two further weathering aspects I have incorporated on the Fulcrum. The first is fluid leaks on the underside. I used to use thinned oil paint for this, but found that it dried matt and didn't give the impression of oil or other lubricants. This time round I used Tamiya clear enamels with a drop of black as required, and I am quite pleased with the gloss translucency it achieves.

IMG_8035-XL.jpg

Then the issue of scratches. The MiG-29 is full of panels that appear to be regularly removed to access the systems underneath. The fasteners are loosened or secured with a large screwdriver, and many scratches adorn the panels (much to the crew chief's disgust). This is a real challenge, and I eventually decided to only add the odd scratch here and there so that it didn't look too contrived. They have to be even thinner than I managed in order to be really convincing.

IMG_8041-XL.jpg

The next post may well be in "Ready for Inspection"...

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks dashotgun.

Amazing what a powerful self-critique tool posting photographs on a forum can be. Looking at the last photo I posted, I realised that the panel lines were totally uniform and overstated. Some panels get removed often as I mentioned, but others don't, and shouldn't have the same treatment. I decided to use a grey wash some on of the panels to soften the overall look, and here you can compare the top of the photo to the bottom (left side) to see what I mean. Accentuated panel lines are a contentious issue as it is, and I think some variation helps.

IMG_8047-XL.jpg

Apart from that , and some work on the radome to get rid of the black primer that came trough on my slightly heavy handed chipping scrub, the model is finally done. Here is a little foretaste of how she looks...

IMG_8423-XL.jpg

IMG_8358-XL.jpg

IMG_8361-XL.jpg

Many thanks to all who have shared this little journey - it has been good fun!

Detail photographs to follow on RFI tomorrow...

Sean

Awesomesauce!

Btw one thing that helps me when I do fluid streaks in the direction of airflow is to line the brush or whatever applicator you are using up against a steel rule that is oriented in the direction of airflow.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks Brian, Troy, Werner, Ferry and Marcel! It has been a big project, but very satisfying. :)

Here is the link to the RFI post:

I appreciate the tip Marcel, and must agree that the oil streaks look odd. Since you are going to build the C at a stage, you may want to see how unexpectedly the airflow moves the fluids under the Fulcrum's belly.

Oil%20Streaks-XL.jpg

Cheers,

Sean

• 1 year later...