MiG-29A in Luftwaffe Service

Madmax

On 11/15/2018 at 3:28 PM, Mistral said:

It's Russian for "Whoopy cushion" !!:rolleyes:

Great job so far Sean !!

Hey Malcolm,

Thanks for visiting me all the way over here! It would be lovely to see your skills on this forum too... :coolio:

On 11/14/2018 at 1:54 AM, alaninaustria said:

Nice details plumbing!!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan!

On 11/13/2018 at 11:08 PM, blackbetty said:

nice job! those wells bring back memories....

This got me curious Karl.

I searched the forum and stumbled upon this: 

Holy cow! Magnum Opus, epic, or even global conflict don't really describe what I saw. Building the Trumpeter kit is actually like a cop-out in comparison :lol:

hi

very nice job so far ,simple ,and efficience , this is that I expected ,I enjoy !!!!! ... .. :goodjob:.....

if I have only one thing to say , : it's a bit a shame that you didn't use the eduard 's cockpit set , just for the IP ...But I respect your choice .......

Alain

On 11/16/2018 at 9:47 PM, alain11 said:

hi

very nice job so far ,simple ,and efficience , this is that I expected ,I enjoy !!!!! ... .. :goodjob:.....

if I have only one thing to say , : it's a bit a shame that you didn't use the eduard 's cockpit set , just for the IP ...But I respect your choice .......

Alain

Hi Alain,

I agree that an etched IP would be better than the recessed kit part - much crisper detail. I'll definitely consider it for the MiG-21 when I eventually find a kit of the old Trumpy MF!

Having finally gone through all 53 pages of Karl's MiG-29 mission, I realise just how much of an improvement the Trumpeter kit is compared to the old Revell offering! It is not perfect, but it does have some very pleasing engineering. The intakes and the ducts are very nicely done, and although maybe not 100% accurate, they represent the complex shapes well.

IMG_7700-XL.jpg

There is only a fine seam to be sanded on the outside, and for a change, no ejector pin marks inside the ducts - well done Trumpeter!

IMG_7702-XL.jpg

The intake lip is particularly finely moulded.

IMG_7703-XL.jpg

I simply polished the duct tubes with micromesh, no need for paint that deep into the abyss.

IMG_7707-XL.jpg

These ducts to the louvre on top of the LERX are quite a 3-D puzzle, yet they fit very well.

IMG_7712-XL.jpg

IMG_7714-XL.jpg

For those who haven't seen this kit, one of its unique aspects is the fact that the fuselage and wings come in two huge mouldings - top and bottom. This explains the size of the box! The ambitious engineering may explain why the front of the LERX isn't all that well represented. I am still contemplating all sorts of ways of improving them without ruining the model... :hmmm:

IMG_7715-XL.jpg

I don't particularly enjoy the method of joining the main gear legs, as filling and sanding the join inevitably leads to a loss of crispness on the detail. I rather remove the detail, sand to shape and then re-apply the binding straps and whatever is attached to them.

IMG_7719-XL.jpg

IMG_7731-XL.jpg

Time to paint all of this so I can finally join the fuselage halves...

IMG_7723-XL.jpg

Oh, and lastly a look at the uplocks that appear quite prominent in the photos of the wheel wells.

IMG_7724-XL.jpg

Cheers,

Sean

• 2 weeks later...