Oil Paints Vs Water Mixable Oil's

SapperSix

I have been doing some experimentation with oils now that I finally can get them locally up here in AK.  Has anyone tried the water mixable ones and if so do they vary from actual oils?

I find the water mixable more desirable as water is much easier and safer to work with.  The water mixable seems to take much less effort to blend but don't seem to spread and blend in the same way an actual oil does.  As I have limited time with this technique what are your observations?

IMG-9881.jpg

Sapper

Edited by SapperSix

I use water-mixable oils, in fact the exact brand you show.  Mine have lasted years.  I don't have experience of "proper" oils, so can't comment on any differences in use or technique, but I'm very happy with the water-mixable ones.  I use them for weathering and wood-grain.  I like the fact that they mix with water, and you can clean up with water, so apart from anything else you don't need yet another consumable (linseed oil or whatever) cluttering up the workbench.

I don't know of many people who do use these - we are a small exclusive group. :)

The reason I've stuck with traditional oils so far is the relative ease in fixing screw-ups over acrylic base. I can detail paint or weather with oils and if I mess up a quick swab with spirits will remove it and not disturb the base. Don't know how this would go with water-mix ones.