Display Bases??

Aviacom

Hi,

Can someone point me in the right direction of where to buy some ready made display bases that are suitable for our 1/32nd scale aircraft please?

The type of bases that I am after are the following;

PSP/Marsden Matting Type

Dry/Airfield Grass Type

Earth Type

Concrete Airfield Type

Ideally the size would be good for a P-51 or P-47 really.

ive spent countless hours searching the web for these but not come up with anything except a company called Just Plane Stuff but it seems like they are no longer in business? I really don’t mind having to buy from abroad either.

I don’t mind having to spray something but my skill set isn’t at the level where I could build something from scratch.

I don’t want the ‘Printed on Card’ type of base as I personally don’t find that they are realistic.

If you have any web links to anything or know of anywhere then I’d be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

47 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

Zoukei- Mura’s Bases in my opinion are really nice for the money and considering they are finished all you have to do is put your plane on it.  

+1

exactly my recommendation

jan

Do what I did to acquire a display case.  Go spend about $1000 on woodworking tools, 3 months planning it, $2500 in materials........ and only to discover that you now have another new hobby that is eating up your time and budget.  :frantic:

Actually, local big box stores sell 2' X 2' birch ply you can have them cut down in size you need and then start the diorama process?

I'm gonna need a 4X8 sheet of ply for the Lancaster and Liberator!

Edited by ScottsGT

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

I'm gonna need a 4X8 sheet of ply for the Lancaster and Liberator!

This reminds me of the time I attempted a scratch built 1:32 RAF control tower (looked pretty cool too) to display with my Mosquito; the base was huge all by itself, I can only begin to imagine what would be needed for a 1:32 Lancaster.

You might try an art/craft store as they often have wooden "plaques' that are suitable for bases. I've put planes on the larger ones that allow me to pin the U/C to the base, and after I stain the edge, and do some groundwork on the top, it is what I'm after.  I prefer that size and type of base as it allows me to frame the subject, and move or hold the model, but is smaller that the wingspan.

These guys were at Telford last year. Plain well made ridiculously cheap for the money.

http://displaybases.co.uk/

then I just glue on a modelscene grassmat or a weedy meadow from:

https://www.themodeltreeshop.co.uk/rough-meadow-mat-p317.html

they just need cutting to size and sticking down with PVA.

1 hour ago, LSP_Mike said:

You might try an art/craft store as they often have wooden "plaques' that are suitable for bases. I've put planes on the larger ones that allow me to pin the U/C to the base, and after I stain the edge, and do some groundwork on the top, it is what I'm after.  I prefer that size and type of base as it allows me to frame the subject, and move or hold the model, but is smaller that the wingspan.

Oh yes, I've bought many a display item from the likes of Hobby Lobby and such. Here's an example; some paint and debris, and it'll be all done.

cwIv3V.jpg

Can I recommend you do your  bases without a frame or fancy edging and to take a tip from my years of building Architectural models make it as though the land it sits on has been 'chopped' out of the ground and the edges painted black. We found this the most realistic way to present models.

See my example below.

45383971722_e864db226d_k.jpgPrototype Supermarine Spiteful 32nd Scale by uniquenarrowgauge, on Flickr

Graham

The Squadron/TD Marston Mat base is pretty nice, I bought one at Nats in Phoenix, but have yet to paint it up. It also has quite a lot of air bubbles in it, which is not surprising given the amount of detail in it, but I think they may not be casting them in a vacuum chamber, probably because of it's size. I still consider it a good value at the 22 USD I paid for it, but I wouldn't order one for the online price.

The prefinished ZM ones were pretty nice, too, and reasonably priced, but I didn't really like their finish. I guess one could always re-finish it the way they want, but the US carrier deck one was far too rough and uneven for me. It's part of what inspired me to make my own, as I posted a while back. I'm still planning to offer prints of it for mounting to foamcore board, but I just haven't had time to get it printing to my satisfaction. I also still plan to post a tutorial on how to build one for yourself, but again, lack of free time.

On the suggestion of a friend, I may also try to work out a pre-war US carrier deck in the reddish paint with yellow stripes for the early Navy flighters. Lots of winter projects!!

Tim