German F-104G red lights (spine & belly)

Bill Cross

OK, I'm starting on the F-104G kit I picked up while in Hong Kong, and going through Danny Corman's book, I notice that the German version of the aircraft carried two red (flashing?) lights, one on the spine just forward of the tail, and one on the belly, forward somewhat of the one on the spine (see photo below).45043735112_4aa6302da5_b.jpg

Is the something I'm going to have to scratchbuild, and if so, does someone have a close-up of the device(s) I can use for a model? Danny doesn't seem to have a photo of the lights up-close.

5 minutes ago, Jack said:

not sure it's standard on german 104's...

I have only sen them on German ones. Perhaps given the crowded skies over Germany the civilian aviation authorities were worried about collisions?

My son and I were in Bastogne a few years back in the woods above Foy when a jet jockey trying to beat a thunderstorm rolling in from France split the air just over our heads. It was like an 88 round right out of "Band of Brothers." Someone likely got a tongue-lashing for breaking the sound barrier when he got home to the base.

1 hour ago, Bill Cross said:

Is the something I'm going to have to scratchbuild, and if so, does someone have a close-up of the device(s) I can use for a model? Danny doesn't seem to have a photo of the lights up-close.

The three pictures at the bottom of page 26 aren’t close-up enough?  From the side, rear, and directly from the top.  Also on pages 17 and 60.

Photos also show them on MARINE Starfighters, so on all German F-104s.  Not there originally, but added at some time during their lives.

Edited by Dave Williams

26 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The three pictures at the bottom of page 26 aren’t close-up enough?

Photos also show them on MARINE Starfighters, so on all German F-104s.  Not there originally, but added at some time during their lives.

Oh, ****, how did I miss that?

Never do modeling on jet lag. I looked through the book last night and did not honestly see that page. Oy. :(

Interestingly, Corman says all German Starfighters had them.

Now how the heck do I scratch that oval shape in clear plastic with the metal roundel on top? :hmmm:

Edited by Bill Cross

The anti-collision beacons started being retrofitted in 1974. Applicable versions: Luftwaffe/Marine F-104G (fighter bomber config), TF-104G and Marine RF-104G

F-104F, F-104G (AWX) and Luftwaffe RF-104G (AG 51/AG 52) never received them.

I'd replicate the beacons using clear 2K epoxy and mould them into shape with a small spatula and a toothpick while the epoxy is still curing.

• 6 months later...

A bit late, but you never know when someone is going to look up a reference...

Eduard include little teardrop shaped holes on some of their etch shape sheets (or you can drill/file your own to size in sheet metal).

You heat the end of a clear sprue rod to melt it and then push it through the hole and it will form a domed, streamlined lens cover.

A drop of Tamiya clear red gives a nice intense colour (much better than the washed out tint that coloured sprue has) with a glassy gloss finish.