FW 190D-11 & D-13 Hasegawa & Real Model

Miloslav1956

Miloslav,  

That is just brilliant.   So well done.   I admire all your work and yet I’m boldly saying i’m also glad your off the Tempests for a while!  :innocent: (Humor).  As I write this to you,  a B-25 Mitchell just flew over my house.  (Currently visiting my house in Palm Springs).  

This D-11 is just awesome.   Now on to the D-13 and beyond!   

Troy 

• 3 weeks later...

Miloslav, 

This is a beautiful work of art; well done! 

You have inspired me to build a D-11 (and D-13 of my own eventually)...and to finish my years-in-the-making D-9. 

A couple comments: 

Landing Gear

Does anyone have reservations about using the Eduard Brassin Undercarriage legs on these Doras?

I do.

I purchased a set and realized that they are substantially shorter than the Hasegawa Fw-190D legs; being designed by Eduard specifically for Revell's F-8, they simulate the weight of a full payload of bombs (I am at least presuming that Eduard intended to do that). 

While the D-11 incurs the extra weight of Mk 108s in the wings, it does so with Mg 131s deleted. There isn't a good reason to think it ever would have had so much of a load to sink as low as a fully-bombed F-8. 

The Eduard legs probably aren't correct for Doras, beautiful as they are. Of course, Hasegawa's legs are probably slightly too unloaded being that they were made from museum pieces that had absolutely no fuel or ammunition in them. Despite my reservations, I will probably go ahead and use the Eduard legs on my upcoming Doras because of their detail and their strength. 

The D-9 W. Nr. 500570 "Blue 12" clearly sits quite high on its gear and the kit legs are the most accurate to use for it. 

I wonder though: why doesn't Eduard make a set that simulates less loading (a more detailed set than the G-Factors)? They could probably do so easily. 

Propeller

The photo of Fw 190D-11 W. Nr. 220 017 (or 012) from the 5 o'clock position shown on this thread suggests that D-11s had "pointed" prop blade tips (as seen on the Ta-152H and the reconstructed blades of the only D-13 in existence)  instead of completely round (as seen on the D-13 when captured). 

Flaps

If you look carefully at the same photo, a good argument could be made for wooden flaps as well. 

C

Edited by thunderbolt1988

• 1 month later...