FW 190D-11 & D-13 Hasegawa & Real Model

Miloslav1956

On 10/29/2018 at 10:28 AM, D Bellis said:

Micke D is correct. Just another example of why it is best to use period documentation for reference, NOT restorations. 

Also, and I'm sure you already know this, but the propeller spinner on the museum example is a substitute - not an actual D-13 spinner.

D

I thought Jerry Crandall directed the re-paint of Yellow 10, and he wrote the book on the plane. Is that not correct? You are going to make me pull out my copy...

47 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

I thought Jerry Crandall directed the re-paint of Yellow 10, and he wrote the book on the plane. Is that not correct? You are going to make me pull out my copy...

From what I recall Jerry was not happy the paint job turned out as it did.  Me, neither.

D.B.

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

He was going to, but they painted it according to Jerry's D-13 decal guide before he got there. The decal guide doesn't show soft edges on anything, so the painters faithfully replicated that. :o :doh:

D

No, I did not paint "Yellow 10". Doug Champlin asked me to help with photos and color chips and samples as I have parts from "Yellow 10"  from the late 1960s before any restoration was done. He also asked that I be there when it was painted. When I arrived the crew was anxious to paint it and went ahead and painted it. They did not use a decal sheet for reference but the originals photos from our collection and my books. The colors are correct but the paint is too thick and too heavily applied. The original was softer and more thinly applied. The D-13 has the cockpit modified to accommodate the MG 151 cannon, so the rudder pedals are farther apart and a couple of panels are different. There are no outer wing gun holes that were faired over like the D-9. Also remember It's an R 11.

Cheers, Jerry