Sign in to follow this  
Southern Bandit

I love Scotland.

The wife and I travelled by train from Glasgow to Orkney and back to Edinburgh over 3 weeks during May this year.  What a great pleasure it was.  The land is beautiful.  The B&B each had wonderful restaurants.  We tried a different Scotch whisky each day and then brought home 6 bottles.  One must experience the Highland games!   The bag piping made the hair stand up on my neck.  At least 60 pipers in the large glend calling all to the games.  Whew!

Edited by Rick Griewski
Whisky , was "whiskey"

Scotsman, live sort of near you, lived in Aberdeen for a bit too, but back in Elgin now, originally from Inverness though, do you know if that model shop in Inverurie is still open, it was closed for a long time, heard it may be open again? They had great stock of all scale model genres and never went away from there without my wallet severely lightened :)

I dont think Scotsman meant anything bad RE Germany, lived there too for 3 years due to my late Dads RAF tour, feel a close affinity with Germany actually, my sister who shared those teenage days there feels the same, great times at RAF Wildenrath and seeing the old RAF GR1 Harriers up close.

Dads RAF tour was a 21 year one, RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus but a couple of English bases and RAF Machrinaish on west coast of Scotland, very isolated place and it was sort of 50/50 RAF and US familys living there due to USA interest in the base too that had its own charm ... Paul McCartney and Linda lived close by, on a farm at that time,  local celebrity's so they were. Because of that tour, sort of grew up with US kids going to our school, fought with them but patched it up and became friends too, our Dads were on the verge of WW3 preparation but we thought it out .. good times too :)

All a long time ago though, we came back to UK and as normal of time (and perhaps as requested by my Dad) we landed up more or less where the family started near Inverness at RAF Kinloss for some Nimrod time, settled in Elgin and that was back in 1975 ... I'll be 60 next summer.

Its been good, but whatever happens Brexit wise, will always be a Scotsman and no I never voted for independence against England ... am not that daft :) Just feel a certain proud loyalty to Scotland.

I do have fiery blood though, but try to keep it in check, heh.

TY all for putting up with me here when I've been wrong.

Edited by Southern Bandit

16 hours ago, Scotsman said:

Nice Iain ,

However if this thread gets as far as the Alexander Brothers, Andy Stewart. Moira Anderson , Bill McCue , Jimmy Shand  or even God Forbid the Krankies , I  promise I will get my claymore down from the wall and pay some of you a visit 

And for non Scots - just  plug those names into youtube for hours of Tartan Twee!,  the 1960's never made it this far north - Trust me on that !

My neck of the woods.. about 3 miles south of Aberdeen itself 

052266_cdbf0798.jpg

ColinR

Is that Pennan, Colin, from "Local Hero" fame? its as close to you as close to me I guess :) keep meaning to visit there and will do soon, they keep the old red telephone box there as a tribute I hear, wonderful feel good movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085859/

For those that have not seen Local Hero ... check it out ...

Nope that's  Cove Bay , a small  fishing Village south of aberdeen, Pennan is a fair way North of where I am , close to Fraserburgh, in the middle of the old Banff  Stike Wing /s stomping ground. 

When they were filming Local Hero Burt Lancaster apparently stayed at Gleneagles and was flownto  the set every day by helicopter , the same one use the in the film, and the beach where they wanted to build the refinery  was on the west cost 80 odd miles from Pennan , Movie magic at its best! Its a great film , and one of my Wife's favourites

Wow i didn't realise there were a few people on here from the Moray/Aberdeenshire/Banffshire area. I'm based just south of Elgin myself :)

LSP_Ray. My mother was a Sinclair. I proudly wear the Sinclair (Northern clan) ancient hunting tartan (green) kilt

Hi Colin, are the fishermen at Cove still having grief with the landowner trying to stop them using the bay?

Saw a bit about it a while back but never saw if it was resolved.

Nice list of dubious Scottish culture (?). Always think of stuff like that when I'm in Edinburgh walking past all the shops full of tartan tat and nylon kilts!

Gus , yes the dispute is still running on ,

I suppose as out American cousins might put it I have some skin in this particular game since my Grandfather used to run the Salmon fishing crew out of Cove in the 50's and 60's  and my Father and Uncle had a small crab/Lobster fishing business with a boat there , all gone now I'm afraid.. 

There's book covering the local history of cove and one of the pics shown my Grandfather  carrying boxes of Salmon up the road to the village , taken in 1929, so I guess my roots really do run fairly deep here ! 

ColinR

Pity that dispute's not resolved Colin. Great to hear about your deep roots there though. I travel up on the train to Aberdeen every day and often see the small boats out checking their creels. Seems like a hard way to make a living, especially now, so hats off to them.

On 10/20/2018 at 1:27 AM, flounder_al said:

LSP_Ray. My mother was a Sinclair. I proudly wear the Sinclair (Northern clan) ancient hunting tartan (green) kilt

The wife has some of the Sinclair green tartan! She had to pay $100 duty on it. Like they make it here. <_<