1/24 ju 87 d5

Rob Colvin

If it’s a D-5 it should have the extended wing tips, although you can go a G without the extended ones too. I’d be surprised if it isn’t an upscale version directly from their 1/32 stuff. However you would need the underwing Flak cannon pods. No idea if they added those sprues. Buuuuuuut even if for some reason they have upscaled them and added them to the 1/24 kit you will need to get a hold of another sprue as they have moulded them incorrectly in 1/32. They have the magazine and ejection ports on opposite sides on each wing, where in reality each pod fed from the same side and ejected from the same side also on each wing, I forget which way it is but each pod say, feeds from the right hand side and ejects to the left as an example, it may be the other way around but hopefully you get the idea. I looked at it in 1/32 and decided it would be to much of a pain to adapt the kit ones and got hold of another sprue from my D series kit, which for some reason had the cannon pods in with it. 

If you go ahead and get the kit....

Test fit the clear cover for the RDF part on the rear fuselage, you will likely have to glue it as best you can and then sand it to match the countours of the fuselage part around it and then polish it back up. 

Beware the engine cowling covers, if you follow the kit instructions you won’t get a nice seam free fit. Glue the engine bearers to their holes in the firewall first, then fit the engine to the bearers. Then after that add the cowling parts to the firewall, there’s a nice lip to do this to outside the firewall. I would tape the 2 halves of the cowlings together to see if they will go over the engine that way instead of adding each half individually as I did, doing it that way left me with some crappy seam lines to get rid of and I lost some nice rivet detail cleaning it up. Also the radiator part they have you add is a horrible fit so if you can join the cowling halves and fit them over the engine after I’d add the radiator fairing at the same time and blend it in then add the whole thing to the firewall. 

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

I looked in to it as I’m on a bit of a 1/24 kick at the moment and the D-5 does appear to come with the G parts and cannon pods. Interesting stuff. Though this thing in 1/32 is a big bird in 1/24 it will be huuuuge. I don’t know what aftermarket exists in that scale either. 

I am too, and at the moment contemplating the 1:24 Fw 190D-9 kit.

6 hours ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

I am too, and at the moment contemplating the 1:24 Fw 190D-9 kit.

I will make my decision after seeing some reviews. Their 1/32nd Ju-87's have a lot to be desired.

I have the D-9 kit. It has a really bulbous gun cover over the cowl. I am fixing that by converting it to a D-13 or D-11 with Jerry Rutman's (now Grey Matter) conversion. And I have a Verlinden (hmmm...might be Contact Resine) cockpit set. It is nice and big which makes pretty fun to work on. I started on a VFS P-47 and it is amazing the difference in size. It is on my shelf of doom right now till I get some other stuff done, but I expect it to be a nice build. 1/24th is an attractive scale as my vision slowly gets worse.  

On 10/17/2018 at 6:54 PM, Rob Colvin said:

I noticed it was out and was wondering if everything is in there to make a G2? Can anyone comment on the shapes/ kit? i know zip about trumpeter stukas.

thanks

Rob

Nearly everything is in there to make a G, even the 37mm rounds.

This photograph of the 1/24 kit sprue shows that the cannon pod issue is not fixed.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10531564/40/8

If it were, the halves of the cannon pods at the top and at the bottom of the sprue would be identical, not mirror images.  

These are the parts in the 1/32 kit, same thing with incorrect handled pods.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10318692/40/3