1/32 Early F-15B Eagle - 58TTW

RichieB

• 1 month later...

So with a long Bank Holiday weekend there was opportunity to progress and the incentive to finish this build is getting too much to ignore!

Not because I'm running out of mojo for his one (though it's been tested at times!) but I have many others that need some plastic love.

First up was a gloss coat courtesy of Tamiya X-22 which required a couple of coats to get a consistent shine and then on to the decals.

Needless to say there are no specific decals for this bird in 1/32 and I don't have the skills (or hardware) to create my own.

The scheme I'm doing eventually required 3 sets to get this scheme covered and even then there is not a lot of solid intel on what/where all the markings are!

52062460564_431f94fd8c_c.jpg

All the Microscale markings went down fine though I had to do some fishing to find an AAR receptacle stencil that was close enough to the Revell scribings. A couple broke up as they were so old but I managed to rescue most.

52061185112_ce5669b3dd_c.jpg

I think some of the Microscale stencils are a little large but they are at least legible. Some of the positioning was contradicted by other sources so where I could I used Jake Melampy's and DACOs F-15 books to confirm but even still there is a bit of artistic license.

52062223931_f4434ed2f5_c.jpg

Next step is to seal them all with a gloss coat then tone down some of the black stencils which look a little stark and then add some weathering.

Definitely one small step but a giant leap in progress!

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to the previously glacial pace of updates, this feels like warp speed! 

OK its only panel washes which require less accuracy than most painting, but its still a step nearer the finish line.

I ended up using about 4 different panel line washes, one of which I mixed to get a shade that dulled down the contrast of Revell's somewhat heavy handed panel lines. The depth of them is probably something I should have fixed earlier but who was to know that they would stand out as much even after coats of primer and paint! I only used dark washes on the moving parts ie ailerons and rudders or where a bit of high contrast was warranted. I am also somewhat proud of the fact that I managed to mask a blue border around the insignia on the wing. It took some doing and I must admit I bottled doing all of it again on the bottom wing!

52097268775_503d5ef9f7_c.jpg

Rear metal parts got a heavier wash as well but the rest of the model was a couple of lighter shades to try and avoid the 'made out of Lego' look. High contrast builds are eye-catching but they look a little too unrealistic for my taste. Each to their own though.

52096795078_24eb198fd5_c.jpg

Underside got a similar treatment but went a bit darker at the rear where I will add some additional staining to help blend it in better. You can see what would have happened if I had done the entire aircraft in a darker panel line colour.

52095744882_5bfb776a2e_c.jpg

Engine nozzles were also finished with some pigments for the internal soot marks and Alclads for the petals - used a lot of masking tape on those!

52096767811_d9f80c053d_z.jpg

And finally, the live Aim-7Fs (for a what-if load out) and the inert practice Aim-9Js are nearly ready.

52097268870_81e89b451c_z.jpg

Weathering next but I'll keep it pretty light even though the model probably needs a heavier application to blend out the panel lines further.

Might need to lie down for a bit after all this progress!

Edited by RichieB

Many thanks for the comments chaps, much appreciated.

Great picture of her in the flesh Geedubelyer, look no panel lines!

If only we'd had digital cameras back then.

At range i.e. not camera close-up mode!, I'm hoping my efforts will blend into something that isn't monotone but isn't too stark either.