Barracudacals F4U Birdcage Decals

Kurt_W

Would anyone know if/when the F4U birdcage decal set is going to be re-released?

I've been holding off on making the purchase of the Tamiya kit until I know if the set is available.

Thanks,

Kurt

Hi Kurt

I don’t know if this helps, but Ken Walsh’s Viva is on a sheet by Eagle Cals.  Eagle Cals issued three sheets featuring the Bird Cage Corsair and have some interesting options.  Also Montex has several mask sets devoted to Early Corsairs.  There may be some other options I am not thinking of but there are a number of good options out there to do a Bird Cage F4u-1 without the Baracuda Studios sheet.  

I kind of think Montex might offer Marine’s dream but can’t remember, a quick search would reveal that answer.  They have a couple of interesting options though that no one else has done.

Also Ken Walsh flew more than one Corsair, some of which only had numbers and kill markings not the Viva logo, those can be done with mask sets that are on the market.  Many F4u-1’s did not have personal markings and these planes are just loaded with visually interesting weathering as they were used hard in the South Pacific.  When it comes to wear and tear early corsairs show as much or more than any other aircraft and I think that is just a reflection of how few planes there were and how much work they had to do early on. 

I meant to mention Maketar masks as they do a whole set for the Corsair that gives you tons of build options.

Edited by cbk57

25 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

All Marine Corsair pilots flew whatever aircraft was available.

Is this in part because there just were not very many airplanes to fly?  I am starting to think that in 1943 and 1944 not very many Corsairs were available in the Pacific.  Maybe as many as a few hundred?  I know it seems like it was a practice throughout much of the war but could that have grown out of necessity in that they had to put pilots in what was available at any given time.

Thanks Jennings

I just purchased two of your decal sheets for the Marines and Whisling Death, it seems I have a supply of Corsairs to build in that I have three Tamiya ones on hand.  I just am starting a D model but still trying to make up mind which one.

Edited by cbk57

9 hours ago, Kurt_W said:

Would anyone know if/when the F4U birdcage decal set is going to be re-released?

I've been holding off on making the purchase of the Tamiya kit until I know if the set is available.

Thanks,

Kurt

I assume you are talking about the Birdcage Corsairs Part 1 decals, and not the cockpit stencils which they have recently re-released?

If it is the Part 1 set, which decals are you looking for? I have that sheet and only plan on doing "Marine's Dream."

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

I assume you are talking about the Birdcage Corsairs Part 1 decals, and not the cockpit stencils which they have recently re-released?

If it is the Part 1 set, which decals are you looking for? I have that sheet and only plan on doing "Marine's Dream."

Yes, that is correct. I had thought of building either Walsh’s or the really weathered one that has Tojo in its name.

50 minutes ago, Kurt_W said:

Yes, that is correct. I had thought of building either Walsh’s or the really weathered one that has Tojo in its name.

Ken Walshes plane is offered by Eagle Cals, there is also a really simple way of doing a Ken Walsh corsair as in one or more cases he flew a Plane with a simple 13 and several Kill Markings.  There are several sources with options on how to do planes attributed to Ken Walsh.  One is Historie and Collections Corsair 

On 10/16/2018 at 1:43 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

I will add that the Navy was organized the same way.  Individual pilots did not have their own aircraft (with the possible exception of some Air Group commanders like McCampbell).  They used a pool of aircraft.  There are documented cases of Marines aboard the carriers in early 1945 complaining vociferously about the poor state of maintenance on the Navy F4Us they shared on some of the ships.  They were all identically marked, but some had been brought aboard by the Marines, and some were brought aboard by Navy squadrons.

I can certainly verify that.  A very good friend of mine whose grandfather flew Hellcats off the USS Franklin and was shot down during the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and eventually my friend inherited his personal effects.  One day on a visit he broke them out and let  me go through them.  Boy, talk about goodies!  A set of AN style goggles, a khaki cloth flight helmet, some VF-13 logo decals, his purple heart and other metals, a set of full lieutenant bars, a dollar bill signed by his squadron mates, love letters. telegrams. Franklin cruise book, service record, etc. etc.  And his log book.  It shows  several different Bu numbers of aircraft he flew, very seldom the same aircraft.  Lots of CAP.  It also shows when he transitioned from F4F's to F6F's.  And sadly, his final entry on the day before he was KIA.  FYI

Edited by Patrick HMD

Growing up, my next door neighbor was an F6F pilot on the Franklin. He had also been at Pearl Harbor. Was officer of the deck on the Detroit. Later became Commander of the carrier Roosevelt. My father was quartermaster on that carrier during WW2, after his plane crash in Pensacola.

My neighbor's recollection of Pearl Harbor:  http://www.elivermore.com/photos/diablo_beacon04.htm

27 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Was he aboard Franklin when she was knocked out of action on 3/14/45?

Yes, my neighbor was. The Franklin was hit I think by two kamikaze attacks.

My father was injured as a result of his crash at Pensacola and was given a medical discharge by the USN. He re-upped and waived his medical discharge in order to participate in the war.

My father's flight instructor down in Pensacola was George Gay.