ODK Clear Zero

seiran01

A model company from however many decades ago - ODK - never heard of them... there's a clear A6M zero listed on ebay with internal details, quite interesting to learn of this one! Looks to be similar to the Monogram Phantom Mustang (minus the working parts) from what I can see in the tiny photos. Can't see any additional info on google and this thing isn't even in the kit database - is anyone familiar with the kit or the company?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ODK-A6M5-Zero-Clear-Issue-1-32/113310719231

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

I ran a search on ebay for ODK there were no other aircraft kits, so I ran an advanced search for completed listings and there were no hits.  I would chalk this up as exceptionally rare.  I am also now going to look and see if there are any hits for ODK for anything else on ebay as I am curious.

I searched all of their listings under models and kits on ebay and completed listings, only 5 kits come up under ODK brand.  Only two come up under completed listings.  

I marked the zero on my watch list, to see if it sells and what for.  I have a fair interest but don’t plan on bidding as I don’t think I can adequately guarantee the kit won’t deteriorate in storage.  Otherwise I might put a bid on it.  

Edited by cbk57

Never heard of them, either. Googling, I found ODK is short for Odaka Sanuya(?, it is pretty fuzzy) Ltd, a company that apparently made a short lived run of models, including this 1/2 scale Japanese scale helmet:

s-l500.jpg

Note: their stuff must be really rare. For this helmet kit, they are asking over $1000! 

I have one! 

Always wondered it's origins, i got it it a club sale decades ago. 

it's in no way shape or form a hi-tech modern kit. if you want niceties, look elsewhere, however, its got folding wheels, Phantom Mustang levels of internal detail.

An oddity, for sure, but very cool, and what price can you put on cool?

If it's within your budget, do it :D

Denzil

4 hours ago, RadBaron said:

I have one! 

Always wondered it's origins, i got it it a club sale decades ago. 

it's in no way shape or form a hi-tech modern kit. if you want niceties, look elsewhere, however, its got folding wheels, Phantom Mustang levels of internal detail.

An oddity, for sure, but very cool, and what price can you put on cool?

If it's within your budget, do it :D

Denzil

Folding wheels? Now that I'd like to see.

16 minutes ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

Folding wheels? Now that I'd like to see.

Of course, it was a Japanese secret designed by an obscure camping equipment maker that invented the collapsible plate.  This technology is quite common now and modern versions can be found at any REI store.:D